CBS 2 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

USHL: Musketeers Overcome Hawks Heroics

SIOUX CITY, Iowa -- The Waterloo Black Hawks celebrated one dramatic goal Friday, but needed a second during a 4-3 overtime loss to the Sioux City Musketeers at Tyson Events Center in Game Three of the Clark Cup Semifinals.

Overtime featured a number of spectacular saves by Hawks goalie Cal Petersen, using glove and blocker to deny the likes of Joe Snively, Sam Saliba, and Jake Montgomery.  However, Montgomery set up the winner by Joel LEsperance, who came barreling up the ice at 16:50 of overtime to flip a shot into the net off his linemates feed out of the left corner.

The result extends the series to a fourth game, which will also be played in Sioux City on Sunday.  The winner of the series between the Hawks and Musketeers will face the Indiana Ice in the Clark Cup Finals.  Indiana swept their set against the Dubuque Fighting Saints in three games.

Both teams had navigated through the opening period unscathed on Friday.

It was the first completely scoreless period of the series.  The two sides combined for just 13 shots on goal; Petersen made seven saves in the Waterloo net, while Collin Olson turned away the six chances which came his direction.

A flurry of scoring broke out in the second period, as both teams netted two goals apiece all within a three minute span.  Adam Johnson opened the offense at 4:53, moving out of the left corner to slip a chance past Petersen.  One minute and 43 seconds later, former Musketeer Dane Cooper fired a shot past Olson from the high slot to even the affair.  Johnson recorded his second of the night at 6:58 on a rebound, to renew the Musketeer edge.  However, Liam Pecararo banked a shot into the Musketeer net from the end boards to square the contest again 50 seconds later.

The Hawks situation looked desperate late in the third period after Sioux City pulled ahead at 12:43; Avery Peterson capped at two-on-one rush, set up by Trevor Olson.  However, Waterloo successfully navigated a subsequent Sioux City power play, bringing the extra attacker to the ice late.  With 4.3 seconds remaining before intermission, Brandon Montour fired an equalizer into the net off the rebound of Hayden Shaws initial opportunity.

Game Four between Waterloo and Sioux City will also be at Tyson Events Center on Sunday.  Originally scheduled for 5:05 p.m., the opening faceoff has been pushed back to 7:05 p.m.

Advertise with us!
Brought to you by:
Brought to you by:

Washington Times