CBS 2 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

ProSource Data Potentially Compromised

CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- A potential data breach has some corridor residents on alert tonight. The breach involves the company ProSource, which has been working with the city for 2 years - as it has dealt with the financial aftermath of the 2008 flood.

After seeing the devastation caused by the flood, Don Karr sees this latest development as a slap to the face.

They don't know what we went through and how it affected us, Karr says. They show no respect for that.

The business owner and former city council member dealt with the ProSource first hand, as they guided resources for relief into the city. According to the letter the company mailed out, the break in and data breach happened in September of 2013.

The letter announcing the breach just hit his mailbox this month.

7 months later they're finally telling me, Karr says. I would like to know it seven months ago! You don't do that.

A form offering free credit monitoring was also included with the letter. The form asks for vital information, including a social security number, and comes with an envelope to mail the form back to a P.O. Box.

Why would I send it to a post office box under the name administrator? Karr asks. I've already had my ID information stolen, and now they want to give it to someone else.

We posed these concerns to the ProSource spokesman Jon Austin.

I will guarantee that that form is legitimate, and they can be comfortable sharing that information with us via that form.

Austin says 98% of their clients are safe; the remaining 2% are in a low risk category. As for the time gap, he says they wanted a thorough initial investigation to see how high the risk actually was.

We don't want to give people information that turns out not to be true, they take action that is unwarranted that may cause more harm than the actual level of risk, Austin says.  

Karr saying something would have been better than nothing at all.

Target notified everybody right away of their security breach, and they're still investigating. This is ridiculous, this is very unprofessional.

ProSource tells us despite the suspect being in custody, the computer is still missing.

In a statement we received from the city of Cedar Rapids a few hours ago, they encourage anyone who received the letter to work with ProSource to protect their information, and to contact the company with any questions or concerns.
 
Advertise with us!
Brought to you by:
Brought to you by:

Washington Times

Sponsored content