CBS 2 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Electrocuted Man Reunites With First Responders

CEDAR RAPIDS (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Back in August we told you about a city worker who was in critical condition after getting shocked while working on a manhole cover

Today, that worker is alive and well and got the chance to reunite with the men and women who helped save his life.

Paul Phillips was not just shocked when the accident happened--he was electrocuted.

He had no breathing and no pulse, he was clinically dead, but thanks to the immediate response of rescuers--today he's alive and got the chance to thank them.

At the reunion are police, fire, EMT crews and others.

It's a day of thank yous and recognition, after an accident Paul Phillips describes as something you see in a movie.

"I was dead and they saved me, Phillips said.

Only in his case, it was all real.

"I put aluminum poles together to put down into the manhole. I don't know if it sparked or came into contact with the line, he said about the day of the accident.

The next thing Paul remembers, he was waking up in a hospital bed two days later.

"Paul are you know where you're at...are you okayhow do you feel, Paul said he remembers hearing at the hospital.

You see Paul is a city sewer laborer.

On august 13th he was using a pole to adjust equipment in a manhole.

The pole came into contact with an electrical power line overhead.

"Paul fell backwards into a ditch and was unresponsive, said Cedar Rapids Fire PIO Greg Beulow.

Emergency responders got his heart beating again before he was taken to the hospital, and some say seeing Paul alive and well at this reunion is why they do what they do.

"It left a mark with me that it's all worth it, said Captain Dan Drexler of the Cedar Rapids Fire Department.

Worth it too for Pauls wife who says everyday he reminds her of how unpredictable life can be.

"He says you know, I could have been dead, so let's do something fun today, said Briceida Phillips.

"I appreciate life a lot more, Paul said.

Today is Pauls first day back at work after the accident and he says although being back is like a shock so far, he's happy to back.
Advertise with us!
Brought to you by:
Brought to you by:

Washington Times