CBS 2 - Search Results
Iowa Boy Dies from Burns in Backyard Fire
EARLHAM, Iowa (AP) -- Authorities say a 10-year-old Iowa boy died after he was badly burned while using gasoline to make a backyard fire with his older brother.
The incident happened in the family's backyard on Saturday near Earlham about 30 miles west of Des Moines.
The Madison County Sheriff's office says the boy and his 13-year-old brother started a fire with gasoline from the garage. At some point, Chris Allsup poured the rest of the gas on the fire, and the flames engulfed the boy.
Allsup sustained burns on 91 percent of his body. He was flown to Iowa City for treatment but didn't survive.
The boy's father and grandfather were home at the time of the fire. Their mother was at work.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.