CBS 2 Local Sports
- Sportscast - May 23, 2015
- T&F: State Track Mee - Day 3
- MWL: Kernels Beat Beloit 7-3
- Sportscast - May 22, 2015
- T&F: State Track Meet - Day 2
- BASE: Iowa Eliminated at B1G Tournament
- CFB: Iowa names Leadership Group
- Sportscast - May 21, 2015
- May 21 - Mirek Laskowski
- TNF: State Track Day 1
- Sportscast - May 20, 2015
- BBB: Washington Hires Decker
- BASE: Nick Day Hits Walkoff HR for Iowa
- WBB: Tiffany O'Donnell Headlines Iowa Golf Event
- USHL: Former Saint Davies Joins Hawks
- AUTO: Iowa Speedway on TV Show
- Sportscast - May 19, 2015
- MWL: Bean's Blast Beats Kernels
- BASE: Six Hawks Earn All-B1G Nod
- CFB: Blythe Named to Rimington Watch List
- MBB: Koch Awarded NCAA Scholarship
- Sportscast - May 16, 2015
- BASE: Iowa Ready for B1G Tournament
- MWL: Kernels Split Odd Double Header at Peoria
- WRST: Keddy Advances to World Team Trials
- T&F: Coe Renovating Clark Field track
- MWL: Kernels Roster Moves May 18
- Sportscast - May 17, 2015
- Sportscast - May 16, 2015
- Sportscast - May 15, 2015
- MWL: Kernels fall to River Bandits 10-3
- BASE: No. 13 Iowa Beats Rutgers 10-3
- GOLF: Hawks 6th at NCAA Regionals
- WBB: Henderson Resigns at Coe
- CFB: Iowa to Play Two 11 AM Games
- Sportscast - May 14, 2015
- MWL: Kernels and Chiefs suspended after rain
- May 14 - Kirkwood's Darin Pint
- GOLF: Hawks 8th in NCAA Regional
- MBB: ISU Draws Texas A&M in Big 12/SEC Challenge
- SOFT: Blank Earns Regional Honor
- Sportscast - May 13, 2015
- MWL: Kernels complete comeback to win in 10
- MBB: Iowa, FSU to Meet in B1G/ACC Challenge
- Sportscast - May 12, 2015
- BASE: Hibbing Honored by B1G
- NFL: Rummells Signs With Jacksonville Jaguars
- NFL: Scherff Signs with Redskins
- Sportscast - May 11, 2015
- MWL: Kernels win season-best seventh straight
MWL: Kernels roll past Bees with 8-2 win
Updated: Friday, August 22 2014, 11:29 PM CDT
BURLINGTON, Iowa -- The Kernels rolled past the Burlington Bees with an 8-2 win on Friday night. The Kernels scored four runs in the second inning and added three more in the fourth inning, cruising to the win. The Kernels are now a season-high eight games over the .500 mark with a 69-61 record. They go for the sweep over the Bees on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at Community Field.
Ryan Eades (9-11) was solid on the mound for the victory. He went six innings, allowing just one run on five hits while striking out two and walking none.
The Kernels (38-22, 69-61) jumped in front of the Bees with four runs in the second inning, taking a 4-0 lead as nine batters coming to the plate. Max Murphy and J.D. Williams picked up consecutive doubles with one out to plate the first run. Murphy doubled down the left field line while Williams crushed his RBI double to deep center. Michael Quesada then lined a RBI single to right, scoring Williams to make the score 2-0. Jonatan Hinojosa and Engelb Vielma drew back to back two-out walks before Bees starter Sean Newcomb exited. Reliever Grant Gordon came to the hill, and Logan Wade plated both Quesada and Hinojosa with a two-run single to right, putting Cedar Rapids up by four.
Newcomb (0-1) went 1 2/3 innings, allowing four runs on four hits while striking out one and walking two in the loss.
Burlington (26-34, 64-65) (26-34, 64-65) plated a run in the bottom of the second inning to cut the Kernels lead to 4-1. Brandon Bayardi doubled, reached third base on a wild pitch by Kernels starter Ryan Eades, and came home on a RBI groundout by Trevor Gretzky.
The Kernels added three more runs in the fourth inning, extending their lead to 7-1. Quesada started the inning by reaching on an error by third baseman Ismael Dionicio. Tanner Vavra then singled to put runners on the corners. Both came home on a two-run triple by Hinojosa. Hinojosa drilled Gordon’s pitch to deep right, putting the Kernels up by six. It was Hinojosa’s fourth triple in 11 games with the Kernels.
Cedar Rapids made it 8-1 in the fifth inning as Alex Swim led off with a base on balls and eventually scored on a double play groundout by Quesada.
Burlington pushed a run across in the seventh inning, making the score 8-2. Mike Fish led off with a single and scored on a two-out RBI single by Ismael Dionicio.
Jared Wilson went 1 1/3 innings in relief for the Kernels, allowing one run on three hits. He struck out two and walked one while hitting two batters. Chris Mazza struck out all five he faced in relief, going the final 1 2/3 innings for the Kernels, closing out the victory.
Gordon went 3 1/3 innings in relief for the Bees, allowing four runs (two earned) on four hits. Greg Mahle retired all six he faced in relief with one strikeout in two innings. Ryan Dalton threw two scoreless and hitless innings for the Bees, striking out three and walking one.
The series at Burlington concludes on Saturday night at 6:30 p.m. RHP Chih-Wei Hu (6-1, 2.20) gets the start for the Kernels while RHP Ryan Etsell (5-3, 3.95) will pitch for the Bees.
The Kernels return home on Wednesday, August 27 to host Kane County at 6:35 p.m. It’s a Free Money Wednesday, sponsored by First Federal Credit Union. $500 will be given away the main gates.