CBS 2 Local Sports
- Sportscast - April 26, 2015
- USHL: Jacks score 3 in 3rd to beat Saints, 4-2
- Sportscast - April 24, 2015
- T&F: Drake Relays Friday Recap
- CFB: Purple Squad Wins Annual Spring Game, 49-6
- MWL: Kernels Postponed
- CFB: Rain Alters Iowa Spring Game
- Sportscast - April 23, 2015
- April 23 - Coe's Steve Cook
- MWL: Nolasco Start Pushed Back to Sunday
- MWL: Gem by Gonsalves leads Kernels to sweep
- SOFT: Kirkwood Top Seed in Regionals
- Iowa 31st in Directors' Cup
- Sportscast - April 22, 2015
- BASE: No. 17 Hawkeyes Top NIU, 4-3, in Extras
- MWL: Vavra has four hits in 5-4 win over Wisconsin
- CFB: Iowa Spring Game Information
- Sportscast - April 21, 2015
- MWL: Kernels roll to 10-1 win over Rattlers
- NFL: 2015 Schedule Released
- Sportscast - April 20, 2015
- USHL: Saints to Face Lumberjacks in Conference Finals
- WBB: The Logical Career Path
- MBB: Hawks Ink Jones to 2015 Class
- MWL: Gordon Lifts Kernels
- MWL: Jorge Honored by MWL
- MWL: Kernels Put Fernandez on DL
- Sportscast April 19, 2015
- USHL: Saints Sweep Riders
- Sportscast - April 17, 2015
- BASE: Mangler, No. 14 Iowa Rally Past Wildcats
- USHL: Saints Take Game 2, 5-1
- MWL: Kernels Ride Big 8th Frame to Win
- MBB: Hoiberg's Surgery Successful
- CFB: Lomax named to Lott Watch List
- CFB: Iowa Adds Postgame Tailgate Time
- Sportscast - April 16, 2015
- April 16 - IC West's Brad Stiles
- WBB: Moody Selected by SA in WNBA Draft
- MWL: Kernels drop second straight to Peoria
- WBB: Logic Selected By Atlanta Dream
- SWIM: Freeman Advances at Fina Grand Prix
- Sportscast - April 15, 2015
- MWL: Kernels Fall to Peoria for 1st Loss
- BASE: Iowa Beats Cornell College, 9-1
- SOFT: ISU Win Clinches Cy-Hawk Series
- MBB: UNI Adds WAT West's Conrey
- MBB: "Franwich" Raises $34K
- WBB: Warren to Coach USA
- MBB: Iowa Adds Williams to Recruiting Class
MWL: Kernels roll past Bees with 8-2 win
Updated: Friday, August 22 2014, 11:29 PM CDT
BURLINGTON, Iowa -- The Kernels rolled past the Burlington Bees with an 8-2 win on Friday night. The Kernels scored four runs in the second inning and added three more in the fourth inning, cruising to the win. The Kernels are now a season-high eight games over the .500 mark with a 69-61 record. They go for the sweep over the Bees on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at Community Field.
Ryan Eades (9-11) was solid on the mound for the victory. He went six innings, allowing just one run on five hits while striking out two and walking none.
The Kernels (38-22, 69-61) jumped in front of the Bees with four runs in the second inning, taking a 4-0 lead as nine batters coming to the plate. Max Murphy and J.D. Williams picked up consecutive doubles with one out to plate the first run. Murphy doubled down the left field line while Williams crushed his RBI double to deep center. Michael Quesada then lined a RBI single to right, scoring Williams to make the score 2-0. Jonatan Hinojosa and Engelb Vielma drew back to back two-out walks before Bees starter Sean Newcomb exited. Reliever Grant Gordon came to the hill, and Logan Wade plated both Quesada and Hinojosa with a two-run single to right, putting Cedar Rapids up by four.
Newcomb (0-1) went 1 2/3 innings, allowing four runs on four hits while striking out one and walking two in the loss.
Burlington (26-34, 64-65) (26-34, 64-65) plated a run in the bottom of the second inning to cut the Kernels lead to 4-1. Brandon Bayardi doubled, reached third base on a wild pitch by Kernels starter Ryan Eades, and came home on a RBI groundout by Trevor Gretzky.
The Kernels added three more runs in the fourth inning, extending their lead to 7-1. Quesada started the inning by reaching on an error by third baseman Ismael Dionicio. Tanner Vavra then singled to put runners on the corners. Both came home on a two-run triple by Hinojosa. Hinojosa drilled Gordon’s pitch to deep right, putting the Kernels up by six. It was Hinojosa’s fourth triple in 11 games with the Kernels.
Cedar Rapids made it 8-1 in the fifth inning as Alex Swim led off with a base on balls and eventually scored on a double play groundout by Quesada.
Burlington pushed a run across in the seventh inning, making the score 8-2. Mike Fish led off with a single and scored on a two-out RBI single by Ismael Dionicio.
Jared Wilson went 1 1/3 innings in relief for the Kernels, allowing one run on three hits. He struck out two and walked one while hitting two batters. Chris Mazza struck out all five he faced in relief, going the final 1 2/3 innings for the Kernels, closing out the victory.
Gordon went 3 1/3 innings in relief for the Bees, allowing four runs (two earned) on four hits. Greg Mahle retired all six he faced in relief with one strikeout in two innings. Ryan Dalton threw two scoreless and hitless innings for the Bees, striking out three and walking one.
The series at Burlington concludes on Saturday night at 6:30 p.m. RHP Chih-Wei Hu (6-1, 2.20) gets the start for the Kernels while RHP Ryan Etsell (5-3, 3.95) will pitch for the Bees.
The Kernels return home on Wednesday, August 27 to host Kane County at 6:35 p.m. It’s a Free Money Wednesday, sponsored by First Federal Credit Union. $500 will be given away the main gates.