- BREAKING: Bomb Threat at ISU
- Is It Time To Legalize Fireworks?
- Juveniles Charged With Robberies
- IA Native Missing Near Nepal
- UI Professor Will Make Map of Nepal Quake
- Family, Friends Mourn Death of Gray
- 1 Airlifted After Chase, Rollover on Hwy. 30
- Man Charged in Fatal Parking Lot Stabbing
- UPDATE: Death Toll Tops 2,500 in Nepal
- 4 Missing After Sailboats Capsize
- Volcano Threats Downgraded
- Starbucks Glitch Fixed
- Sen. Rand Paul Visits IA
- Red Cross Volunteers Install Life-Saving Gift
- Indiana College Student Found Dead
- RAW: First District House Rep. Rod Blum Talks about Rand Paul and Carly Fiorina
- RAW: Potential Presidential Candidate Scott Walker after his meet and greet in Cedar Rapids
- RAW: Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks about fist-bumping Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton and Young Americans for Liberty
- Large Crowds Expected in Baltimore
- Little Free Libraries In Hiawatha
- Cedar Rapids Budget Appeal Rejected
- Rockwell Workers Relieve Stress With Yoga
- Deadly Crashes Dropping Among Teens
- RAW NEWS: Victim's Family Speaks
- Remembering Lynnsey Donald
- Summit Attracts Big GOP Names
- Girl with Leukemia Dismissed from School
- Cedar Rapids Celebrates Arbor Day
- Walker Running on a Record
- Cedar Falls Man's Garage Sale App
- Wellington Heights Smoke Detector Giveaway
- Walker Circling Presidential Run
- Grads Lack Desired Skills
- UI Offers New Degree
- IA Man Goes to Gofundme to Follow Dream
- DOT Reviews Intersection
- Police Shooting Report Expected Soon
- Rubio Returning to Iowa
- Drake Gets Live Mascot
- Accused Teenage Murderer in Court
- Phone Outage Affecting 4 Counties
- Woman Denied $41M Jackpot Error
- Cancer Survivor Raising Awareness
- High School Stage Collapses
- Public Health Major
- "Raymond" Sitcom Actor Dead at 19
- Fighting Breast Cancer Before It Starts
- Special Gifts For Two Corridor Kids
- Fleck Sales Co. Buying Wolfe Beverage Co.
- Express Bus, Rideshare Plans Move Forward
Wheels to Prosper
Updated: Thursday, July 24 2014, 07:45 AM CDT
MARION, IA (CBS2/FOX28) – One corridor woman has a brand new set of wheels thanks to a local repair shop. Jim Anderson from Anderson Automotive in Marion started a program called “Wheels to Prosper” where he matches up one deserving person with a car.
The whole process demonstrates to everyone involved exactly what the value of the dollar can be.
When life kicks you when you’re down, again and again, you don’t know if just around the corner is another speed bump or a helping hand.
Carly Ringgenberg came to Anderson Automotive with the idea that she was helping her Dad pick up something for his car. When she saw friends and family, she realized she’d be the one getting picked up.
Wheels to Prosper fixes up a car each year and then asks the public to nominate someone who deserves to buy it cheap.
Jim says Carly had three independent nominations from family and friends making the case to award the car to her.
"Two weeks later, the straight line winds came through in Toddville and took all the trees out and the neighbor's tree dented in the top front half of my car."
That left her without a way to get to work, drive her son to his activities and carpool with coworkers and friends.
Still, she never gave up.
"She knows that she needs to work and she knows that she needs to provide for her family,” said Opal McNiel, Carly’s Mother. “She's just a hard worker."
"She knows that she needs to work and she knows that she needs to provide for her family. She's just a hard worker."
Jim says the idea behind Wheels to Prosper is to help someone who keeps trying, but gets knocked back down. So he takes care of her car troubles by selling her a car for just a buck, proving that no matter how good your tires are, life can turn on a dime.
Or maybe, a dollar.