- Football Vs Soccer In The Corridor
- Frankie House Preparing for Move
- CR Municipal Band Entertains Audiences
- Cars on Display at Newbo Market
- U.S. Defeats Japan 5-2 in World Cup Final
- David Sweat Returned to Prison
- Remembering Cedar County's Heroes
- 'No' Vote in Greece
- USDA Offers Funding for Farmers Markets
- Boy Injured by Falling Bullet
- Child Drowns in Mississippi River
- Officials Catch Escaped Iowa Inmate
- Fireworks Light up the CR Sky
- 14 Hurt in Deck Collapse
- Blatter Blames World Leaders for Corruption
- Progress Made in Iran Nuclear Deal
- Fireworks Show Injures 9 in Colorado
- Bush Takes Trump Comments Personally
- DSM Police Investigating Fake Shooting Report
- Kittens Thrown Out Car Window
- Hot Dog Eating Upset
- Earthquake Hits Oregon
- State Park Swimming Advisory
- Coralville Lake Boating Warning
- CRPD Investigates Stabbing, Shooting
- Ski Team Hits the Cedar River
- Cedar Boat Club Fireworks
- Sights and Sounds of Jazz Festival
- Palo Man Arrested for Stalking
- Veto Will Hurt Corridor School Budgets
- GoFundMe Created to Help Tornado Victims
- Coralville 4thFest
- Kayakers Rescued From Black Hawk Creek
- IA Man Guilty of Assaulting Officer
- Spring Into Action for Pets this July 4th
- Fancy Food Show: Foods of the Future
- Clinton Planning Eastern Iowa Visits
- LATEST: Thousands Rally in Greece
- IA School Getting Face Lift
- NBA Player Ames Grand Marshal
- Gov. Walker Announcement Coming
- New Trial For IC Man
- More Drugged Drivers on IA Roads
- Jazz Fest Underway in IC
- Lindsey Graham's Thoughts on Joe Biden
- Tanager Place Names New CEO
- Watch Out for Bed Bugs During Your Travels
- Class Action Traffic Cam Suit Thrown Out
- CBJ Report: July 2nd
- ACA Decision Hits the GOP Campaign Trail
University Walks For Iowa Healthiest State Initiative
Updated: Wednesday, October 9 2013, 08:02 PM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28)--We begin in cedar rapids where various organized groups participated in the state’s third annual "Healthiest State Initiative" walk.
It’s all part of a community focused effort to make Iowa the healthiest state in the nation by 2016.
According to a national well-being study, Iowa is number nine when it comes to being physically emotionally and mentally healthy, but why settle for ninth best?
There are many benefits of being number one and that's what the afternoon’s walk was all about.
It's a walk to the top, top of the healthiest state ranking that is--and mount mercy university students, staff and faculty are all on board.
"If you start doing it with one person, it helps motivate others, so it helps spread it around,” said Aaron Lacy.
Aaron lacy is a 22-year-old senior at Mount Mercy and he says this is really a way of making healthiness a community effort.
"Everyone is coming together to be healthy because it's all something we can relate to,” he said.
It's not just Mount Mercy participating in today's walk, various community, religious and business groups statewide are involved
Promoting good health in the workplace is something employers everywhere encourage.
"We avoid medical concerns and health issues that might affect us which has a financial impact as well as personal impact on all of us,” said University Provost Jan Handler
"As a society, keeping those insurance cost down, but again just keeping yourself healthy and active and being able to go to work and do a good job at work,” said Head Cross Country and Track and Field Coach, Ryan Scheckel.
For Aaron who is a soccer and track and field athlete, this is a step in the right direction
"It's good that we are moving up but I'd like to see us just keep going on up,” he said.
In the past, more than 300,000 people have participated in the walk.