- Iowan on Everest Says He's OK
- Canine Flu Fears Grow in Iowa
- BREAKING: Bomb Threat at ISU
- Is It Time To Legalize Fireworks?
- Juveniles Charged With Robberies
- UI Professor Will Make Map of Nepal Quake
- Family, Friends Mourn Death of Gray
- 1 Airlifted After Chase, Rollover on Hwy. 30
- Man Charged in Fatal Parking Lot Stabbing
- UPDATE: Death Toll Tops 2,500 in Nepal
- 4 Missing After Sailboats Capsize
- Volcano Threats Downgraded
- Starbucks Glitch Fixed
- Sen. Rand Paul Visits IA
- Red Cross Volunteers Install Life-Saving Gift
- Indiana College Student Found Dead
- RAW: First District House Rep. Rod Blum Talks about Rand Paul and Carly Fiorina
- RAW: Potential Presidential Candidate Scott Walker after his meet and greet in Cedar Rapids
- RAW: Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks about fist-bumping Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton and Young Americans for Liberty
- Large Crowds Expected in Baltimore
- Little Free Libraries In Hiawatha
- Cedar Rapids Budget Appeal Rejected
- Rockwell Workers Relieve Stress With Yoga
- Deadly Crashes Dropping Among Teens
- RAW NEWS: Victim's Family Speaks
- Remembering Lynnsey Donald
- Summit Attracts Big GOP Names
- Girl with Leukemia Dismissed from School
- Cedar Rapids Celebrates Arbor Day
- Walker Running on a Record
- Cedar Falls Man's Garage Sale App
- Wellington Heights Smoke Detector Giveaway
- Walker Circling Presidential Run
- Grads Lack Desired Skills
- UI Offers New Degree
- IA Man Goes to Gofundme to Follow Dream
- DOT Reviews Intersection
- Police Shooting Report Expected Soon
- Rubio Returning to Iowa
- Drake Gets Live Mascot
- Accused Teenage Murderer in Court
- Phone Outage Affecting 4 Counties
- Woman Denied $41M Jackpot Error
- Cancer Survivor Raising Awareness
- High School Stage Collapses
- Public Health Major
- "Raymond" Sitcom Actor Dead at 19
- Fighting Breast Cancer Before It Starts
- Special Gifts For Two Corridor Kids
- Fleck Sales Co. Buying Wolfe Beverage Co.
UI Children's Hospital Groundbreaking
Updated: Friday, June 21 2013, 09:43 PM CDT
IOWA CITY, IA (CBS2/FOX28) -
Tucked between Kininck Stadium and UIHC, among the dirt and metal - are dreams.
Dreams of a child said saved by a surgeons knife.
"Imagine our new children's hospital one day rising up from that spot," former patient Blake Derby said.
Along with the dreams of parents who lost their greatest dream too soon, like Doug and Robin Wall.
"Drew would have been glad we were here, he would really want us to be part of this day and it's been great," Mrs. Wall said.
The hospital held a 'groundbreaking' for the project on Friday. Engineers promise not only will it be one of the most advanced hospitals, but with parents AND kids giving the input, it will also be the most fun.
"There will be a theater, library, and a place to get ice cream," former patient Bryan LaRue told a crowd gathered at the groundbreaking. LaRue is also on the Children's hospital youth advisory council.
"Although we are sick on our stays at the hospital, we are children, and we get bored," LaRue said.
The impact it will have on patients and parents like the Walls is significant.
"We like to say in the sixteen years he got a lot done," Mrs. Wall said, talking about her son Drew Walls.
Drew fought bravely against cancer in his leg for years.
"Five years almost, and this past November he passed away," Mr. Wall said.
However, he got the chance to give his input into a building that meant so much to him.
"They really spent a lot of time and resources getting it right," Mr. Wall said.
They say the results will make everyone proud.
"Once the foundation is poured, and the walls are built, the ideas and dreams of drew wall will be alive again," LaRue said.