- Your Voice, Your Future Townhall: Connects Against Crime
- Oxford Gas Leak Prompts Evacuations
- UI Sexual Assault Report Increase
- Standlee Pleads Not Guilty
- Fire Happened "In the Blink of an Eye"
- Missing Cobra Found
- Hajj Death Toll Skyrockets
- Gov. Branstad Visits Marion
- JOCO Health Officials Draft Report
- Selena Gomez Battling Lupus
- McCarthy Withdraws from GOP Speaker Race
- North Liberty Company Expanding
- France Train Hero Stabbed in CA
- Iowa Fashion Project Launch Party at FilmScene
- Fugitive With Ties to Iowa on the Run
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Carly Fiorina on Russia, Putin and other Republicans
- Privatizing Medicaid Savings Estimated
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate John Kasich on Syria, Russia and ACA
- No-kill Shelter Raffling off Gun
- Prison Officials Considering Tech Upgrades
- Dems Preparing Legislation to Curb Guns
- Clinton Turns Benghazi Ad To Her Side
- Coast Guard Ends Search For Crew
- Charges Filed After SUV Hits Home
- Fill the Boot Check Presentation
- Mayflower Hall Brings Back IOWA Tradition
- Iowa's Best Tasting Water Is In...
- Increase in Population, Increase in Violence?
- Iowa City Music Tradition Uncertain Future
- Created in the Corridor: Light Awake
- RAYGUN Coming to Cedar Rapids
- Trump in Waterloo
- Tronca Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Quite a Journey for Shellsburg Family Car
- Clinton Opposes Pacific Rim Trade Deal
- Chrome Horse Conversion Gains Support
- Details of Oregon Gunman's Death Revealed
- Clinton Flexes Muscles to GOP
- Clinton Gun Control Plans
- UI Research Has Worldwide Impact
- New UI President Plans Outreach Events
- House Conservatives Oppose McCarthy
- CR Man Charged After Police Chase
- Back Porch Revival Tickets on Sale Now
- Health Insurance Website Gets Overhaul
- Man Accused Hitting Person with SUV inside Home
- Results from Diversity Focus Survey
- Iowa City Plans to Study Minimum Wage
- DBQ Increasing Street Lights, Cameras
- Putin Spends Birthday With NHL Legends
UI Children's Hospital Groundbreaking
Updated: Friday, June 21 2013, 09:43 PM CDT
IOWA CITY, IA (CBS2/FOX28) -
Tucked between Kininck Stadium and UIHC, among the dirt and metal - are dreams.
Dreams of a child said saved by a surgeons knife.
"Imagine our new children's hospital one day rising up from that spot," former patient Blake Derby said.
Along with the dreams of parents who lost their greatest dream too soon, like Doug and Robin Wall.
"Drew would have been glad we were here, he would really want us to be part of this day and it's been great," Mrs. Wall said.
The hospital held a 'groundbreaking' for the project on Friday. Engineers promise not only will it be one of the most advanced hospitals, but with parents AND kids giving the input, it will also be the most fun.
"There will be a theater, library, and a place to get ice cream," former patient Bryan LaRue told a crowd gathered at the groundbreaking. LaRue is also on the Children's hospital youth advisory council.
"Although we are sick on our stays at the hospital, we are children, and we get bored," LaRue said.
The impact it will have on patients and parents like the Walls is significant.
"We like to say in the sixteen years he got a lot done," Mrs. Wall said, talking about her son Drew Walls.
Drew fought bravely against cancer in his leg for years.
"Five years almost, and this past November he passed away," Mr. Wall said.
However, he got the chance to give his input into a building that meant so much to him.
"They really spent a lot of time and resources getting it right," Mr. Wall said.
They say the results will make everyone proud.
"Once the foundation is poured, and the walls are built, the ideas and dreams of drew wall will be alive again," LaRue said.