- Hearing Held on Bird Flu
- Haze Fills E. Iowa Skies
- Video Shows Former Player Hit Woman
- More Trouble for Paula Deen
- Senate GOP Balks at Cuba Restrictions
- Netflix Announces Film Initiative Dates
- Confederate Flag Flies in Florida
- Thousands Expected to See Pope
- Prison Officials Move Inmates
- Branstad: Special Session Unlikely
- DBQ Unique Home Buying Incentives
- Move to Facility Blamed for Death
- Report: Jared from Subway Under Investigation
- One Dead in Ice Cave Collapse
- World's Oldest Man Dies
- Scare at MN Bear Exhibit
- Starbuck's Raises Prices
- POTUS Enjoying Twitter Freedom
- Immigrant "Sanctuary" Policy Under Fire
- Iran Nuke Talks Continue Past Deadline
- Movie Tax Credit Decision
- Canadian Wildfires Causing Issues in IA
- CR Crime Stats Frustrate Police
- Service Dog Awareness From Viral Post
- Vernon Inn To Be Demolished Soon
- Iowa City Man Victim of Email Hack
- KY Clerk Wants Online Marriage Licenses
- U.S. Markets Close Modestly Lower
- Police Release Robbery Suspect Description
- College Readiness Report, Hispanics Behind
- Iowa Officials Promote Travel Deals
- Industry Report: Room for Improvement
- Cosby Admission Released
- Iowa City Converting Streetlights
- Shelly Johns Sentenced
- Pres. Forums on Minority Communities
- Corridor City Most Expensive to Live
- Iran Demands Lifting of Arms Embargo
- Rain, Crash Disrupt Daytona
- Kunis and Kutcher Tie The Knot
- Grateful Dead Tops Record
- No Evidence of Gunshot at Walter Reed
- Greece More Likely to Leave Eurozone
- CR Police Investigate Shooting
- Branstad Explains Budget Decisions
- Vietnam Vets Exhibit in Waterloo
- Two Waterloo Inmates Missing
- Montrose Adds Auxiliary Officers
- Greek Finance Minister Resigns
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Summer Sounds of Cedar Rapids
Truck Pins and Injures Off-Duty Des Moines Deputy
Updated: Sunday, July 14 2013, 05:45 PM CDT
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- A Des Moines police lieutenant has been injured in an off-duty accident.
Police Sgt. Jason Halifax says Lt. Joe Gonzalez was working Saturday at the World Food Prize building in downtown Des Moines.
Gonzalez was providing uniformed security outside the building when a truck started to leave the site.
As the truck turned, the rear of the vehicle pinned Gonzalez against a granite wall.
The driver stopped quickly and backed up, freeing Gonzalez. Witnesses called for medical help.
Gonzalez was taken to a Des Moines hospital, where he was being treated Saturday night for two collapsed lungs, broken ribs and other injuries. He was listed in serious and stable condition.
Police will decide whether to charge the driver after an investigation.
Gonzalez has worked for the department for 38 years.
“Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.”