- Back Porch Revival Tickets on Sale Now
- Health Insurance Website Gets Overhaul
- Man Accused Hitting Person with SUV inside Home
- Results from Diversity Focus Survey
- Iowa City Plans to Study Minimum Wage
- DBQ Increasing Street Lights, Cameras
- Putin Spends Birthday With NHL Legends
- Zoo Lawsuit: Lemurs are Stressed
- Woman Hit near Kinnick Dies
- VW Recall to Begin in January
- Cedar Rapids Car Fire
- UPDATE: Trooper's Name Released in OIS
- Draft Joe Biden Group Releases Ad
- Anamosa Prison Guards Accused of Smuggling
- Clinton Send Her Book to GOP Candidates
- Assisted Suicide Opponents Vow to Fight Law
- UPS Hiring Iowans for Holiday Rush
- Jeb Bush Works To Crack Iowa's Top Five
- Stem Cells To Treat Pets
- Exhibit On The Legacy Of Vietnam
- Vernon Has Big Third Quarter
- Mental Health Concerns Hit Home
- Eastern Iowa Community Survey Results
- Creating Big-City Productions In Anamosa
- Former Guards Charged in Smuggling Investigation
- Anamosa Schools Placed On Lockdown
- New Candidate in 2nd District
- New Lights on Snow Plows
- IA Father Helping Flood Victims in SC
- Campaign Aides: Political Motivation Behind Charges
- New Trial Hearing for '06 Waterloo Murder
- Open Doors, Open Minds
- UI Combating Mumps
- Firefighter Loses Home to Fire
- Microsoft Unveils Several New Products
- Twilight Reverses Gender Roles for Anniversary
- Heating Costs Expected to be Lower
- Groups Form to Battle Constant Violence
- Tax Breaks Considered for Manufacturers
- Vet Calls for Zoo Animals to be Moved
- Teen Hits Squad Car
- Dog Shot in Waterloo
- Affordable Housing Discussion
- Shooter Rants in Writings About Having No Girlfriend
- 12 Killed in South Carolina Flooding
- Iowa Rep. Miller Won't Seek Re-election
- Snobbiest Cities In Iowa?
- Voices of Diversity: DBQ Veteran Uses Art to Manage PTSD
- Name Released in Dubuque Homicide
- Homecoming Celebrated With Corn at UI
Truck Pins and Injures Off-Duty Des Moines Deputy
Updated: Sunday, July 14 2013, 05:45 PM CDT
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- A Des Moines police lieutenant has been injured in an off-duty accident.
Police Sgt. Jason Halifax says Lt. Joe Gonzalez was working Saturday at the World Food Prize building in downtown Des Moines.
Gonzalez was providing uniformed security outside the building when a truck started to leave the site.
As the truck turned, the rear of the vehicle pinned Gonzalez against a granite wall.
The driver stopped quickly and backed up, freeing Gonzalez. Witnesses called for medical help.
Gonzalez was taken to a Des Moines hospital, where he was being treated Saturday night for two collapsed lungs, broken ribs and other injuries. He was listed in serious and stable condition.
Police will decide whether to charge the driver after an investigation.
Gonzalez has worked for the department for 38 years.
“Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.”