- Anamosa Prison Guards Accused of Smuggling
- Clinton Send Her Book to GOP Candidates
- Assisted Suicide Opponents Vow to Fight Law
- UPS Hiring Iowans for Holiday Rush
- Jeb Bush Works To Crack Iowa's Top Five
- Stem Cells To Treat Pets
- Exhibit On The Legacy Of Vietnam
- Vernon Has Big Third Quarter
- Mental Health Concerns Hit Home
- Eastern Iowa Community Survey Results
- Creating Big-City Productions In Anamosa
- Former Guards Charged in Smuggling Investigation
- Anamosa Schools Placed On Lockdown
- New Candidate in 2nd District
- New Lights on Snow Plows
- IA Father Helping Flood Victims in SC
- Campaign Aides: Political Motivation Behind Charges
- New Trial Hearing for '06 Waterloo Murder
- Open Doors, Open Minds
- UI Combating Mumps
- Firefighter Loses Home to Fire
- Microsoft Unveils Several New Products
- Twilight Reverses Gender Roles for Anniversary
- Heating Costs Expected to be Lower
- Groups Form to Battle Constant Violence
- Tax Breaks Considered for Manufacturers
- Vet Calls for Zoo Animals to be Moved
- Teen Hits Squad Car
- Dog Shot in Waterloo
- Affordable Housing Discussion
- Shooter Rants in Writings About Having No Girlfriend
- 12 Killed in South Carolina Flooding
- Iowa Rep. Miller Won't Seek Re-election
- Snobbiest Cities In Iowa?
- Voices of Diversity: DBQ Veteran Uses Art to Manage PTSD
- Name Released in Dubuque Homicide
- Homecoming Celebrated With Corn at UI
- Pumpkin Patch Harvests Community Help
- Police: Badger Fan Punched Teen Hawk Fan
- CONSUMER ALERT: Cheerio Recall
- US, Pacific Rim Countries Reach Trade Deal
- Car Pulled from AL Church's Attic
- Iowa's Largest Insurer Entering ACA Exchange
- Governor on Planned Parenthood
- Branstad: Can't Remove Regents
- New Pi, Backpocket Announce New Brew
- Injuries Reported in Train Derailment
- Branstad Unveils Higher Education Goals
- Violent Acts Rattle Community
- Pumpkins Plentiful Despite Rain
Tajh Ross Trial: Day 8
Updated: Friday, July 25 2014, 08:00 AM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Call it a tale of two interviews
September, 2012 – The first interview conducted with Tajh Ross, just days after the shooting.
He says when he got to the party that night; a man across the street makes them an offer.
CRPD Investigator - So he tried selling you a gun. What kind of gun was it?
Ross - Just some type of pistol.
Ross says they refused to buy it.
Minutes later, he says he heard shooting, immediately got in a car, and went home.
Investigators say the story didn't add up.
Linn County Attorney Nick Maybanks - Did your investigation reveal that person (selling the gun) was ever there.
Investigator Martin Devore - No
Now fast forward to February 2013. Ross and the four other co-defendants are brought in on charges related to Roundtree's death.
Witnesses say they saw co-defendant Jeremiah Ellis shoot a gun that night, which Ross admits to as well, but then investigators tell him there was a second shooter:
Ross - And who was that?
CRPD Investigator- I think you know who it was.
Ross -No I don't.
CRPD Investigator- Tajh, it was you.
Ross - No it was not.
A statement he denies over and over - until he finally breaks.
Ross - Alright, I'll tell the truth right now, c’mon, close the door…I did not shoot at the car that day. I shot in the air like this.
Tajh says he was surprised when he found out Latasha was killed.
Just weeks before the shooting, he recalls getting advice from the person he said he considered a little sister.
Ross - She was like 'stay off these streets, it's bad you know'. I was thinking, like, 'that's good advice'
The trial is set to restart Friday morning at 9am. Follow us on twitter at https://twitter.com/cbs2iowa or https://twitter.com/JasonHackett2 for updates directly from the courtroom.