- Pizza Hut, Taco Bell Going Natural
- Cortana Coming to Apple & Android Devices
- Menu Change Might Prevent Food Allergies
- Jon Stewart Helping Vets Enter TV
- 2 Injured in ATV Crash
- Iowa Boy Dies Playing Baseball
- CR Honors Family, Heroes for Memorial Day
- Weekend Weather Affecting Businesses
- Toddler Perseveres Through Amputation
- Summer of the Arts Volunteers Needed
- Airplane Threats Not Credible
- A Different Take on Memorial Day
- Wreath Laid at Arlington Nat'l Cemetery
- Pancakes Eaten to Support Troop 40
- Memorial Day Program Held in Cedar Rapids
- UPDATE: Body of Missing Man Found
- Repairs Continue on Belle Plaine Track
- Corridor Red Cross Volunteers Head to TX
- Bear Reportedly in Dubuque Area
- Threat Made Against International Flight
- 2 Inmates Escape Work Release
- Capitol Police Blow Up Pressure Cooker
- Memorial Build
- Sen. Grassley 16th Most Bipartisan
- Boater Missing on Mississippi
- 'A Beautiful Mind' Inspiration Killed
- What Memorial Day Means To You
- Iowa Renaissance Fest Draws Many
- IC Church Donates Free Fuel
- Veterans Making Holiday Travel Special
- ISIS Advances in Syria
- Oakland Demonstrators Defy Rule
- Protests Turn Violent in Cleveland
- Negotiations Continue on School Funding
- One Killed when Boat Rolls
- Ammonia Tanker Rolls in Cedar Rapids
- Storms Pound Texas
- Some Farmers Upset by Bird Flu Response
- CRPD Steps Up Enforcement
- Edible Forest Planted
- Highland Games Practice Held
- Residents Explore Trails
- Six Charged in Buchanan County
- Residents React To Train Derailment
- Running to Beat Skin Cancer
- Missouri Suspect Shot and Killed
- Feds to Review Cleveland Police Case
- Amphitheatre Opening for Season
- House Damaged After Car Fire
- Train Derails Near Belle Plaine
Spontaneous Combustion Causes Bar Fire
Updated: Wednesday, July 23 2014, 06:38 PM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (CBS2/FOX28)--Owners of a popular nightspot still are accessing damages from an early morning fire.
Fire fighters battled a four-alarm blaze at Chrome Horse Saloon and Slop House at about 1:30 Wednesday morning.
They say the fire caused significant smoke, heat and fire damage to the first and second floor of the building.
First there was one, then four.
A four alarm fire, bringing multiple units of the Cedar Rapids Fire Department to the Chrome Horse Saloon and Slop House.
"It's been years since that many firefighters have been deployed to a particular scene. In fact all of the fire equipment and on duty firefighters were deployed,” said Cedar Rapids Public Safety Coordinator, Greg Buelow.
It all began inside a bucket the Chrome Horse kitchen.
"It started in the kitchen. In a plastic bucket that contained rags or towels that more than likely contained animal fats,” Buelow said.
He says those rags or towels eventually generated enough heat that then led to a full blown fire, a process known as spontaneous combustion.
"One of the ways it can be prevented is to put oily rags or aprons of grease, not bunch them together and put them in something,” he said.
He says rags should be placed in a metal container with a lid, a lesson learned the hard way for the folks at Chrome Horse.
"Oh it's just smoke damage throughout, obviously water damage from the hoses and the firemen. The kitchen is just completely, it's pretty well gutted,” Chrome Horse General Manager, Derek Collins said.
It's a devastating scene for many who've hung out here.
"Jeez I hope they open up soon. I've got some friends and bartenders and servers that actually work here too so they kind of like out of job right now,” said Jake Nichols, a Chrome Horse regular, but like back in 2008, the hope is to rise again.
"We have a great thriving business. It's a beautiful area. It's up and coming. It's the Newbo District, we were Newbo before it was all Newbo,” Collins said.
The owners here say they won't hear from their insurance agents about the extent of the damage until sometime on Thursday.