- Volcano Threats Downgraded
- Starbucks Glitch Fixed
- Sen. Rand Paul Visits IA
- Red Cross Volunteers Install Life-Saving Gift
- Indiana College Student Found Dead
- RAW: First District House Rep. Rod Blum Talks about Rand Paul and Carly Fiorina
- RAW: Potential Presidential Candidate Scott Walker after his meet and greet in Cedar Rapids
- RAW: Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks about fist-bumping Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton and Young Americans for Liberty
- Hundreds Dead in Nepal Quake
- Large Crowds Expected in Baltimore
- Little Free Libraries In Hiawatha
- Cedar Rapids Budget Appeal Rejected
- Rockwell Workers Relieve Stress With Yoga
- Deadly Crashes Dropping Among Teens
- RAW NEWS: Victim's Family Speaks
- Remembering Lynnsey Donald
- Summit Attracts Big GOP Names
- Girl with Leukemia Dismissed from School
- Cedar Rapids Celebrates Arbor Day
- Walker Running on a Record
- Cedar Falls Man's Garage Sale App
- Wellington Heights Smoke Detector Giveaway
- Walker Circling Presidential Run
- Grads Lack Desired Skills
- UI Offers New Degree
- IA Man Goes to Gofundme to Follow Dream
- DOT Reviews Intersection
- Police Shooting Report Expected Soon
- Rubio Returning to Iowa
- Drake Gets Live Mascot
- Accused Teenage Murderer in Court
- Phone Outage Affecting 4 Counties
- Woman Denied $41M Jackpot Error
- Cancer Survivor Raising Awareness
- High School Stage Collapses
- Public Health Major
- "Raymond" Sitcom Actor Dead at 19
- Fighting Breast Cancer Before It Starts
- Special Gifts For Two Corridor Kids
- Fleck Sales Co. Buying Wolfe Beverage Co.
- Express Bus, Rideshare Plans Move Forward
- Black Students Rally at UI
- CBJ Report: April 23rd
- Interim UI President Approved
- Bird Flu Confirmed At Third Iowa Farm
- Emotional Recovery Following Stabbing
- Mental Health and Smart Phones
- What Makes Terrorists Tick?
- Gov. Asks Agencies to Monitor Bird Flu
- UPDATE: Woman Killed at Hy-Vee
Shutdown: National Parks & Monuments
Updated: Wednesday, October 2 2013, 12:00 AM CDT
WEST BRANCH, IA (CBS2/FOX28) - More than 400 parks, memorials and federal sites are closed all across the country as part of the government shutdown including the Hoover Library and Museum in West Branch.
Eighty years after the great depression Iowa’s only president is still getting the blame as a passerby yells “ They should have shut it down years ago .. it’s a huge waste of taxpayer money.”
Tourist information radio tells you when you’re still miles away that the museum is closed, but Lorin Clark is still upset.
He and Tenguin Grace are on a cross country trip to see all the presidential grave sights and that trip just ended at the front gate of the Hoover Museum.
"They’re losing money, this just doesn’t make any sense. Government employees will all get their pay and the taxpayers are leaving without seeing what we should be seeing.”
They aren't the only ones who are disappointed. In West Branch the Hoover library and museum is located just about two blocks from the main street.
The Pink Pony ice cream parlor is packed on most warm days, but owner Brenda Welsch worries congress could melt her profits. This is the business she opened 2 ½ years ago after being laid off from her job. She says even on this first day she can tell the traffic coming into town from the interstate is down considerably.
"If it were to last four to six weeks yes .. that would be a great concern .. the Hoover library has been good to me since I opened the business I hate to see the doors closed over there."
Surveys indicate businesses all across the country are worried the government shutdown may impact the economy and give consumers one more reason to be uncertain about spending their money just as conditions are beginning to improve.