- Grill Hotline Open for Holiday
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Tuna
- Grand Jury Indictments in Gray Case
- First Interview with Attorney General
- Flavor Flav Arrested in Vegas
- County, State Fairs Call Off Bird Events
- Safety Break on Interstate 380
- Johnson Co. Emergency Services Building
- Discussing Rooftop Dining in IC
- Holiday BBQ On A Budget
- CBJ Report: May 21st
- Hope Blooms at Kennedy High School
- Universities Join Together to Collect Debt
- Suspect in Mansion Murder Named
- BSA Leader Calls for Repeal of Ban
- ConAgra Expanding Waterloo Plant
- Huckabee Skipping Straw Poll
- Bin Laden Love Letters?
- Bacon Prices Falling
- House Passes Fireworks Bill
- Appeal in CR Gun Smuggling Case
- After Dave, What's Next for Late Night?
- Crowded Stage Expected for GOP Debates
- Police Officer Killed in Omaha
- Oil Spill Continues to Spread
- Lawmakers Spar over Education Funding
- RAGBRAI Volunteers Needed in Hiawatha
- Healthcare Experts Discourage Co-Sleeping
- Teen Faces Felony Charges for Stabbing
- CFRD Fight Fire at Paper Mill
- Looking Back at a Late Night Legend
- SPECIAL REPORT: Hope for Maggie
- Building Change to Improve Downtown IC
- CRCSD, Mercy Launch Online Health Record
- Rep. Blum Intends to Keep Campaign Promise
- Auto Recall Will Take 'Years' to Fix
- 2 More Farms Positive for Bird Flu
- Chelsea Man Killed in Crash
- Appeals Court Upholds Murder Conviction
- DEA Conducts Record Heroin Bust
- Secret Space Rocket Launches
- DA Joining Oil Spill Investigation
- Trump Talks Straw Poll
- House Proposes New School Funding Increase
- Chauncey Hearing Extended to June
- Man Rescued from Corn Bin
- Inside The Storm: Parkersburg Tornado
- Linn County Helps with Bird Disposal
- Working to Reduce Crime
- Iowa Ranks Low for Women-Owned Business
Recipe Taking Girl To White House
Updated: Saturday, June 22 2013, 10:43 PM CDT
TIPTON (CBS 2 FOX 28)—Nine -year -old Corrine VanderGaast’s favorite thing to cook is her family's secret banana pancake recipe.
It's not unusual to find this fourth grader in the kitchen--working with fresh fruit and vegetables.
While breakfast is her specialty, it's her "stone curry" dinner recipe that's won her the invitation of a lifetime.
"She was so excited,” said Corrine’s mother Deborah. “We're going to the White House! We're going to the White House," she said, recalling her daughter’s reaction.
On July 9th, Corrine and her mother will represent Iowa at the second annual “Kids' State Dinner" with First Lady Michelle Obama.
A dream come true that still hasn't quite sunk in yet.
Corrine's winning recipe is a vegetable curry they made with her mom's daycare kids while acting out the story Stone Soup.
The recipe had to represent each of the food groups to qualify-- no problem for the budding chef.
"It has sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, chick peas, tomatoes,” Corrine said going over the recipe.
And now that she's got her recipe ‘down pat’, she's free to work on other things, like what she's going to say when she meets the First Lady.
While most cooks like to keep their recipes secret, Corrine is sharing hers to help other families eat healthy too.
The "stone curry" recipe on fox 28iowa.com and cbs2iowa.com.