- Marion Tables Nicotine-Free Parks Proposal
- Cause Of Deadly Fire Can't Be Determined
- Graphic 911 Call Released
- Conference Helps Women Network
- Harrison Ford Crash-Lands Small Plane in LA
- Evacuations Near Train Derailment
- CBJ Report: March 5th
- ICCSD Dine Out Night
- School Dog Comforts After Tragedy
- Mother Takes Stand in Frederiksen Trial
- Vigil Held for CR Immigrant
- Group Seeks Demolition Permit For Church
- Layoff Notices For Mental Health Workers
- Teacher Accused of Teaching While Drunk
- New Business and Net Neutrality
- Plane Skids Off Runway at LaGuardia Airport
- That One Cupcake Place
- Special Olympic Athlete Abuse
- Coralville Unveils RAGBRAI Theme
- Ringling Bros. Removing Elephant Act
- Iowans Could Lose ACA Subsidies
- Gun Bills Continue Advance in Des Moines
- Case Against IA Teacher Dismissed
- Clinton Asks Gov't to Release Emails
- Caring for a Croupy Cough
- UI Named in Worst Free Speech List
- Parents Fight Cyberbullying
- The Free Speech Debate At UI
- UPDATE: Arrest Made in CR Bank Robbery
- Engineers to Oversee Proposed Pipeline
- North Liberty Construction Begins
- Study Reveals More Health, Less Waste
- Dangerous Scam Unfolding on Phones
- Independence Seeks Fast Internet
- 100 Years of History at Coggon Opera House
- Mental Health Screenings at Schools
- Graphic Testimony in Frederiksen Trial
- House Panel OKs Ultrasound/Abortion Bill
- Appeal Filed In 'American Sniper' Case
- Woman Impaled During Car Crash
- Law Would Require Time Off To Caucus
- Senate Panel Approves Radon Rules
- DOJ Clears Wilson in Michael Brown Killing
- Man Found with Pound of Marijuana in Car
- UI Planning New Power Plant
- Target Plans Major Cuts
- New Police Body Cam Bill Introduced
- Man Charged in UVA Slaying Appears
- Trial for Tsarnaev to Begin Wednesday
- Lawmakers Working on Racial Profiling Bill
Recipe Taking Girl To White House
Updated: Saturday, June 22 2013, 10:43 PM CDT
TIPTON (CBS 2 FOX 28)—Nine -year -old Corrine VanderGaast’s favorite thing to cook is her family's secret banana pancake recipe.
It's not unusual to find this fourth grader in the kitchen--working with fresh fruit and vegetables.
While breakfast is her specialty, it's her "stone curry" dinner recipe that's won her the invitation of a lifetime.
"She was so excited,” said Corrine’s mother Deborah. “We're going to the White House! We're going to the White House," she said, recalling her daughter’s reaction.
On July 9th, Corrine and her mother will represent Iowa at the second annual “Kids' State Dinner" with First Lady Michelle Obama.
A dream come true that still hasn't quite sunk in yet.
Corrine's winning recipe is a vegetable curry they made with her mom's daycare kids while acting out the story Stone Soup.
The recipe had to represent each of the food groups to qualify-- no problem for the budding chef.
"It has sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, chick peas, tomatoes,” Corrine said going over the recipe.
And now that she's got her recipe ‘down pat’, she's free to work on other things, like what she's going to say when she meets the First Lady.
While most cooks like to keep their recipes secret, Corrine is sharing hers to help other families eat healthy too.
The "stone curry" recipe on fox 28iowa.com and cbs2iowa.com.