- CR Making Changes in ADA Settlement
- Doldrums ahead for Midwest Economy
- Vineyard Stabbing
- Sex Offender Says Charge is Political
- "Whopslam" Coming Soon?
- Complanies Claim Flawed Medicaid Bidding
- Pope Changes Rules on Abortion
- Iowans Held Without Bail
- Fairfax Home Damaged in Early Morning Fire
- KY Clerk Won't Issue Gay Marriage Licenses
- HIV Transmission Suspects Enters Plea
- Sen. Baldwin Stumps For Clinton In Iowa
- Perry to Keep One Staffer in Iowa
- Alleged UI Athletics Gender Bias
- CR Schools Focus on Mental Health
- IDPH: Mosquitoes Still a Threat
- 3rd Sexual Assault Reported at UI
- IC Transient Faces Robbery Charge
- Cop-Killer had Previous Mental Evaluation
- Hometown Mourns Killed Journalists
- Local Hops Harvest Begins
- Efforts to 'Keep the Music Rollin' in CR
- Legal Experts: No Criminal Trouble for Clinton
- Wildfire Consumes Parts of Spain
- Planes Clip Wings in Oakland
- Newark Airport Evacuated Sunday Night
- Broadband will Reach 90,000 More
- Work on UI President's Home and Office
- Train Hits and Kills IA Man
- Plenty of Controversy at VMA's
- General Mills sets Ambitious Goal
- Trump Leads Register Poll
- IA Waterpark Losing Money
- Gov. Brastad 28th in Salary
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Pionnering Womens' Rights
- Cubs Throw Pajama Party After No-Hitter
- Fourth UI Presidential Finalist Named
- Obama Renames America's Tallest Mountain
- Horror Legend Wes Craven Dead at 76
- Your Thoughts On Regular Joe As President
- Get Moving for Healthy Kids
- Residents Celebrate HWY 965 Reopening
- Onslow Fire Dept. Needs New Building
- 3rd UI Presidential Candidate Announced
- One Dead After Waterloo Shooting
- Florida Braces for Erika
- Arrest Made in TX Officer Slaying
- Cedar Rapids Explores First Farmer's Market After Dark
- Iowa Poll: Sanders Closing in on Clinton
- CRPD Investigating Early Morning Shooting
Rainy Weather Alters Memorial Day Plans
Updated: Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:05 PM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (CBS2/FOX28) - It's not your typical memorial day menu, but for Courtney Axline and her family at least it's dry.
"It has been raining for a week, we just didn't plan on anything outside'" Axline said.
On a day reserved for the outdoors, their patronage at Lava Fusion is very appreciated.
"We really enjoy having their business here," said Lava Fusion general manager David Holbert.
At the same time, it's somewhat surprising to Holbert.
"Today was a very unusual day for Memorial Day...actually the weekend was pretty much the same," Holbert said.
People packed the tables at Lava Fusion all day long.
"The opportunity for them to be outside wasn't there, so they decided to come inside and have lunch and dinner with us," Holbert said.
However, his success translated to disappointment for Dan Rogers and the Coralville Lake Marina.
"When it rains everyday and all day long, we don't do very well," Rogers said.
As a result, potential customers like Axline stayed away form his boats.
"They were all booked Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, and they all canceled except the last two this afternoon," Rogers said.
Their problems go beyond the dock, they also extend into the parking lot, which they expect to be fully underwater by tomorrow.
All in all, not the ideal kickoff to a very important summer season.
"Hopefully we'll have lots of other weekends in a row that are nice...that's what we need," Rogers said.