- Heavy Rains Pound Texas
- Big GOP Names Meet in New Hampshire
- Weapons Investigation Leads to Arrests
- 1 Critically Injured in Motorcycle Crash
- CR City Worker Dies Following Crash
- 3 Stabbed in Hiawatha Mobile Home
- IA Filmmaker Uses Movie to Voice Opinion
- Gyrocopter Pilot Driving Home
- Developing: Police Respond to Shots Fired
- Indpendent Film Festival Underway
- Comcast, TWC Merger in Trouble
- Gardening Season Has Arrived
- Hearing for CR Budget Petition
- IA Students Send Lawmakers a Message
- IA Man Threatens Woman with Knife
- 18 Bills Signed into Law
- Disaster Emergency Declared for Clinton Co.
- Hot Lotto Suspect Contests Extradition
- "King of Clubs" Killed in Iraq
- IA Farmers on Alert for Bird Flu
- Rayhons Trial: Roommate Testifies
- Name Released in Train vs. Truck Accident
- UPDATE: Stolen Van Recovered
- Distracted Driving Causes Crash
- A Final Salute for the "Urbana 5"
- I380 N Backed up at I80
- UPDATE: Two Hurt in Police Chase/Crash
- Elder Home Operators Convicted of Neglect
- Stories Etched on Hands
- Casino Fined For Admitting Gambler
- Top Kitchen Contaminators
- Police Arrest Woman Posing as Dentist
- POLL: Most Iowans Support Background Checks
- Kentucky Gay Marriage Ruling on Hold
- No Injuries in Heartland Co-op Fire
- Bush Calls on Sen. to Confirm Lynch
- Time Fitting the Crime
- CR Becoming Convention Hot Spot
- Created in the Corridor: TelePharm
- Newport Road Reading Approved
- JOCO Crisis Center Looking for Volunteers
- Des Moines Appeals Traffic Cam Order
- Two People Face Theft, Drug Charges
- ImOn Surveying IC Neighboorhoods
- CBJ Report: April 16th
- Police: Woman Charged with False Reporting
- IA Google Center Could Expand
- Video Shows Boys & Girls Clubs Theft
- Millers Find Freedom Fest Medallion
- NYC Mayor Speaks at Drake University
Pop-Up Shop Opens in Cedar Rapids
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 01:14 PM CDT
Cedar Rapids, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28) --
The Enchanted Gift, featuring a variety of accessories for women, has become the first Pop-Up Shop in Downtown Cedar Rapids.
It opened on Aug. 1 at 207 Second Ave. SE (Suite 300). It will stay in that location until September 30th. It's all part of a new program for retailers called "Pop-Up Shops."
The Economic Alliance and private property owners are offering retailers a no-cost short-term lease in a Greater Downtown Cedar Rapids storefront.
The program is aimed at filling high-traffic urban space that has been vacant, provide retailers with the opportunity to explore their business model concept within the Greater Downtown Area; and provide an opportunity to develop long-term lease prospects for the available spaces.
Applicants are still being accepted for interested merchants and property owners. In the first round of applications, several food service operators applied, however, there were no property applications that could accommodate food service operations. We are seeking property owners with food service equipment that would be willing to participate in this program.
The type of retailers the program would like to attract include local or regional establishments that feature: gifts, home goods and décor, apparel and accessories, specialty food, books, sporting goods, pet items, art galleries, photo studios, music schools and art/culture related retail items.
Goals of this pilot year include further developing greater downtown as a shopping and tourist destination by attracting additional quality retail establishments, provide a visible greater downtown presence and sales outlet for quality local and regional retail establishments, highlight the available spaces in the greater downtown area and develop long-term lease prospects for the available spaces and support existing downtown businesses.
For more information, go to http://www.cedarrapids.org and click on Community Development/Progress.