- Winneshiek County Gathers Info on Sand
- House Panel Approves Adoption Leave Bill
- UPDATE: Man Shot By Police Identified
- IA Senate Panel OKs Strip Search Bill
- Missing Cedar Rapids Man
- Stocks Surge on Spending Signs
- Branstad Seeks To Boost STEM Education
- 1 Killed in Incident at NSA
- New Empty IA Prison Records
- Efforts to Find Plane Crash Victims Continues
- Waterloo Has Highest Jobless Rate for IA Metros
- Trevor Noah Named 'Daily Show' Host
- Fiorina Almost Ready to Run
- Going Meatless on Mondays
- Mandatory Age To Stop Driving
- Car Goes into Marshalltown House
- 1 Killed in Clayton County Crash
- 2 Killed in PA Plane Crash
- Air Canada Plane Skids Off Runway
- BMW in Officer Involved Shooting
- Hwy. 30 Work to Begin
- Lawmakers Wish to Change Health Benefits
- UI Opens New Pediatric Clinic
- Boston Officer in Coma After Shooting
- Spring Break Turns Violent in FL
- Kittens Found Dumped in Trash Bin
- Pilots Inspire Girl Scouts To Fly
- 15th Annual Arc March in CR
- Farmers Asked to Breed No-Horn Cows
- 2 Iowa Farm Workers Hospitalized
- Knox Conviction Overturned, Again
- Pink Chicken Mystery Solved
- Concern Over Future State History
- Man Sentenced in Waterloo Toddler's Death
- Hawkeye Women Inspire Next Generation
- Special ACA Enrollment for Some
- What's Stealing Your Sleep?
- Woman Sentenced in Fake Birth Case
- Man Sentenced for Heroin Trafficking
- Threatening Letter Sent to Bar
- DQ Demolition Affecting 7th Ave. Traffic
- E. Iowan Charged With Bank Embezzlement
- Linn Co. To Charge Cities For Dispatch
- CRPD Charge Man with Attempted Murder
- Highway 965 Traffic Altered
- Winnebago Expanding to Waverly
- Man Hits Woman and Her Dog, Takes Car
- Unemployment Down in Iowa
- Waterloo PD Investigate Shooting
Pilot Offers Insurance Money
Updated: Wednesday, July 23 2014, 10:21 PM CDT
BURLINGTON, IA (AP) - A man facing lawsuits involving a jon boat crash that killed four people and injured six others on the Mississippi River in 2012 has agreed to hand over $300,000 from an insurance policy, but he wants a judge to absolve him of future damages if he does.
An attorney representing 22-year-old Joseph Schier Jr. has proposed the deal in court documents.
Attorneys representing four people killed in the collision and two others injured want the court to hold hearings to determine if Schier has assets that could satisfy judgments if the wrongful death and personal injury lawsuits are successful.
Schier and 23-year-old Douglas Metcalf were shuttling partygoers in boats that collided on May 2012.
Lawsuits claim the men acted negligently causing a collision.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.