- Census Data Shows Iowa Growth
- Discussing Gambling Addiction
- Business Fire In Ely
- New Development Project In NewBo
- CR Foreclosure Rate Dropping
- African Families Day at Hoover Elementary
- GOP Hopefuls Coming to Iowa
- One Killed After Semi Hits Bridge
- Ted Cruz to Visit Cedar Rapids
- CR City Budget Appealed
- Medical Marijuana Bill Advances in Senate
- DBQ Man Charged for Kidnapping Attempt
- 2 Your Finances
- Census Shows Growth in DSM, Iowa City
- Mentally Ill Seniors Transferred to Nursing Homes
- Men's Cardio Fitness Tied to Cancer Risk
- Basketball Players to Meet Globetrotter
- Bond Doubled for Stigler
- Prison Contractor Wants More Money
- CLAIM: France Plane Crash Intentional
- Saudi Arabia Intervenes in Yemen
- Germanwings Pilot Was Locked Out Of Cockpit
- Severe Weather Kills 1 In Oklahoma
- Saudi Arabia Launches Airstrikes In Yemen
- Linn Co. Plans Future Trails
- New Video Shows Distracted Drivers
- Support for Medicaid Oversight
- CR Council OKs Stormwater Hike
- Development Planned for Old Vigortone Site
- Court Documents Reveal Johns Steps
- IA Man Competing for Dream Job
- RAGBRAI Riders Travel Past Kinnick
- Heinz: CR Plant Not Affected by Merger
- CR Student Works to Fight Bullying
- Senate School Start Date Bill Stalls
- Longtime Hawkeye PA Announcer Passes
- Crowdfunding Trend Skyrockets
- Emerald Ash Borer Found in Clinton Co.
- UI Names Potential Interim President
- Bergdahl to be Charged with Desertion
- Elected Official Contact Info Bill Advances
- Gov. Branstad has Private Email
- Bill for Statewide Uber Regulations
- 'Star Wars' Locale Part of ISIS Fight
- Deadly Crash Includes Americans
- Statewide Tornado Drill Today
- Turning to Surgery to Prevent Cancer
- High-Speed Chase In Dubuque County
- IC Building Business With New Hotel
- Taking Steps Toward Better Walkability
Officials Still Searching For Tuber Who Fell Into Cedar River
Updated: Monday, July 15 2013, 08:42 PM CDT
BLACK HAWK COUNTY, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28)--Officials are still searching for a man who went missing after falling into the Cedar River while tubing yesterday evening.
They say the accident happened about 6:30 p.m. in black hawk park.
Officials had about two hours to search last night before losing daylight.
They were back at it early this morning and this afternoon brought in some special equipment.
A dozen family and friends waited all day at black hawk park waiting for news, any kind of news.
"I'm hoping that they find him on a sandbank or on the side or something and they boat him back here," said friend Crystal Klein.
The man, friends say, is 19 year old Andre Tims of Waterloo.
Officials say the man went tubing with friends, and at some point floated into a brushy area.
That’s when the currents flipped his tube Sunday afternoon, and he went under.
“We have some people that saw him hands come back a couple of times above the river level they went towards where he was at, went down and then they couldn't find him," said Chief deputy Rick Abben of Black Hawk County.
"I know there were five of them and one person jumped in trying to get him but they couldn't grab him. He hit a faster current they said," Klein said.
After a night, and now a day of unsuccessful search efforts, authorities brought in a boat equipped with side-scan sonar.
"We're hoping that he is in that area not too far from where he was last seen and so the sonar will be able to tell us that so that we can continue with the operation," said Chief Abben.
Officials say this is now more a recovery operation than a rescue, but friends say they still have hope.
"I love Andre he's a good friend of mine and I just want him to be safe," said Klein.
Authorities point out this might have been prevented: the victim couldn't swim, and was not wearing a life jacket.