- Trump's threatens to boycott debate
- Waterloo, Cedar Falls Elect New Mayors
- Senate to Vote on Syrian Refugee Program
- JoCo Minimum Wage Increase After One Month
- Toys For Tots Needs Your Help
- Lawmakers Question Plan to Fight ISIS
- IC Red Week Honors World Aids Day
- Index: Midwest Economy Declines
- Regents Presidents Request More Money
- Bush: American Leadership
- Bush: Fighting an Outsider’s Race
- Nationwide Thermometer Recall
- Anamosa Inmate Accused of Smuggling
- What Defines Terrorism?
- VW Sales Tumble in U.S.
- USPS Holiday Stamps
- Stolen Tortoise Returned
- Save Money Heading to Big 10
- EPA Issues Renewable Fuel Targets
- Sen. Ernst Retires From Military Service
- Chicago Police Superintendent Fired
- Auto Sales Up in November
- District Considering Consolidation
- Blum Spends Most On Mailings
- Appeals Court to Rule on Pistorius
- The Science of Lines: Waiting isn't about Time
- Trial set for Casey Clerk
- Tiffin Raising Minimum Wage
- Rosa Parks Arrest, 60 Years Later
- Two Found Dead In Home
- Midwest Index Drops Again
- Levitating Cars Mystery Solved
- Pantries ask for Holiday Help
- Staying Secure While Cyber Shopping
- Racist Remark Found in UI Bathroom
- Cyber Monday Prepares for #GivingTuesday
- U.S. Scales Back Ethanol Quotas
- Man Accused of Attacking Deputy
- House Defends P. Parenthood Investigation
- New Wave of Gun Permit Renewals Looming
- Target's Website Goes Down
- CONSUMER ALERT: Dog Chew Recall
- Gov. Urges No Delay for Medicaid Change
- Voters Reject Hamburg's Olympic Bid
- First Freddie Gray Trial Now Underway
- World Leaders Discuss Climate Change
- Muslim Students Seek Prayer Space
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Walking Through History
- Deere Lays Off 220 Moline Workers
- Online Threat Cancels Class
MidAmerican Nixes Nuke Plans
Updated: Tuesday, June 4 2013, 12:24 PM CDT
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- MidAmerican Energy has decided against building a second nuclear power plant in Iowa and against building any major power plant for now.
MidAmerican says there is no approved design for the nuclear plant it wanted to build and there are too many questions about limits on carbon emissions from a natural gas plant.
Iowa has one nuclear power plant, the Duane Arnold plant near Palo.
MidAmerican Vice President Dean Crist told the newspaper that a feasibility study found that 700-acre sites near Thurman in southwest Iowa and Wilton in southeast Iowa would have worked for a new nuclear plant, which was expected to cost around $1 billion.
MidAmerican says it will refund $8.8 million that its customers paid for the feasibility study.
2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.