- Union Files Charge Against Ingredion
- North Liberty Residents Petition for Dog Park
- Fox News Sets Debate Lineup
- 2015 UI Kid Captains Announced
- Amazing Sounds at All-State Choral Workshop
- Meth Lab Investigation at CR Taco Bell
- Lawsuit: Deputy Handcuffed Children
- Dogs and Peanut Butter Dangers
- Alligator Ends up on Beach
- Woman Admits to Stealing Program Funds
- Funeral Services Set for Airman
- Drugs Smuggled into Prison with Drone
- Bird Flu Quarantines Being Lifted
- Wildfire Grows in California
- UI Union Praises New Ruling
- CR Schools Get Grants for At-risk Students
- Thousands Raised at Rummage in the Ramp
- IOC Recognizes Ultimate Frisbee
- Nebraska Coach Killed in Car Crash
- Student Shoots Herself in Leg
- Waterloo Inmate Missing
- Dad Charged for Leaving Infant in Hot Car
- Suspect in Fatal Officer Shooting in Custody
- DM Younkers Fire 'Undetermined'
- POLL: Trump Widens Lead on GOP Field
- Circus Tent Collapse Kills Two
- Homeowner Fights for Home After Complaint
- Golf, Music, Nannies Among New Business Startups
- Coral Ridge Shooting: Lawyers Need More Time
- Cat Dies in Cedar Rapids House Fire
- Operation Releaf Underway in North Liberty
- Senate Blocks Effort to Defund Planned Parenthood
- Sen. and Comedian Team Up on Gun Control
- Police Arrest 101 ‘Johns’
- Man Drowns Whilte Saving Son
- Money Raised for Missing Teen Boaters
- Disaster Declaration Approved
- Coe, Mt. Mercy Part of Iowa Private College Week
- Illinois Now Top Party School
- Holmes Eligible for Death Penalty
- Suspect Dead in Oakland Shooting
- Conditions Improve for Firefighters
- Delve Turns Art Into Fabric
- Branstad Touts Iowa STEM Education
- Park Service Shelves Blistering Report
- Lotto Winner Reflects on Win
- Deputies Hurt During Arrest
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Downtown Mt. Pleasant
- Tornado Rips Through Southern IA
- VP Biden Still Considering 2016 Run
Memorial Ride and Drive Remembers All Abducted Children
Updated: Saturday, July 13 2013, 08:23 PM CDT
EVANSDALE, IA (CBS2/FOX28) – For the Collins, July 13th could be the perfect day to just stay home.
“To shut in, mope and just dwell about today,” said Heather Collins as she hugged her husband, Drew. “Dwell about that this is the day that our girls were taken from us and murdered.”
So they’re doing the exact opposite.
“When I wake up every morning that’s the first thing I see is Elizabeth’s picture,” said Drew Collins. “And that gets me out of the bed every day.”
Last year the Evansdale community organized a rider to bring home their missing daughter, Elizabeth and niece, Lyric. This year, the ride is to remember them, and all the other abducted children.
“It brings the awareness up that, ‘Hey, it can happen here to,” Drew said.
If the large crowd doesn’t grab enough attention, their more than 250 motorcycles will.
“I rode in the back and you couldn’t even see the cop car in front of everybody,” said ride organizer Chris Webb. “All you could see was just hills of bikes.”
All to remember two girls, taken a year ago.
“We wouldn’t have made it to where we are without our community and our friends,” Drew said.
The Collins said while the crowd may look a little tough, especially after they get on their bikes, they're also mothers, fathers, aunts and uncles. Many them were out in the days after the girls were taken, helping to look for them.