- Volcano Threats Downgraded
- Starbucks Glitch Fixed
- Sen. Rand Paul Visits IA
- Red Cross Volunteers Install Life-Saving Gift
- Indiana College Student Found Dead
- RAW: First District House Rep. Rod Blum Talks about Rand Paul and Carly Fiorina
- RAW: Potential Presidential Candidate Scott Walker after his meet and greet in Cedar Rapids
- RAW: Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks about fist-bumping Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton and Young Americans for Liberty
- Hundreds Dead in Nepal Quake
- Large Crowds Expected in Baltimore
- Little Free Libraries In Hiawatha
- Cedar Rapids Budget Appeal Rejected
- Rockwell Workers Relieve Stress With Yoga
- Deadly Crashes Dropping Among Teens
- RAW NEWS: Victim's Family Speaks
- Remembering Lynnsey Donald
- Summit Attracts Big GOP Names
- Girl with Leukemia Dismissed from School
- Cedar Rapids Celebrates Arbor Day
- Walker Running on a Record
- Cedar Falls Man's Garage Sale App
- Wellington Heights Smoke Detector Giveaway
- Walker Circling Presidential Run
- Grads Lack Desired Skills
- UI Offers New Degree
- IA Man Goes to Gofundme to Follow Dream
- DOT Reviews Intersection
- Police Shooting Report Expected Soon
- Rubio Returning to Iowa
- Drake Gets Live Mascot
- Accused Teenage Murderer in Court
- Phone Outage Affecting 4 Counties
- Woman Denied $41M Jackpot Error
- Cancer Survivor Raising Awareness
- High School Stage Collapses
- Public Health Major
- "Raymond" Sitcom Actor Dead at 19
- Fighting Breast Cancer Before It Starts
- Special Gifts For Two Corridor Kids
- Fleck Sales Co. Buying Wolfe Beverage Co.
- Express Bus, Rideshare Plans Move Forward
- Black Students Rally at UI
- CBJ Report: April 23rd
- Interim UI President Approved
- Bird Flu Confirmed At Third Iowa Farm
- Emotional Recovery Following Stabbing
- Mental Health and Smart Phones
- What Makes Terrorists Tick?
- Gov. Asks Agencies to Monitor Bird Flu
- UPDATE: Woman Killed at Hy-Vee
Memorial Ride and Drive Remembers All Abducted Children
Updated: Saturday, July 13 2013, 08:23 PM CDT
EVANSDALE, IA (CBS2/FOX28) – For the Collins, July 13th could be the perfect day to just stay home.
“To shut in, mope and just dwell about today,” said Heather Collins as she hugged her husband, Drew. “Dwell about that this is the day that our girls were taken from us and murdered.”
So they’re doing the exact opposite.
“When I wake up every morning that’s the first thing I see is Elizabeth’s picture,” said Drew Collins. “And that gets me out of the bed every day.”
Last year the Evansdale community organized a rider to bring home their missing daughter, Elizabeth and niece, Lyric. This year, the ride is to remember them, and all the other abducted children.
“It brings the awareness up that, ‘Hey, it can happen here to,” Drew said.
If the large crowd doesn’t grab enough attention, their more than 250 motorcycles will.
“I rode in the back and you couldn’t even see the cop car in front of everybody,” said ride organizer Chris Webb. “All you could see was just hills of bikes.”
All to remember two girls, taken a year ago.
“We wouldn’t have made it to where we are without our community and our friends,” Drew said.
The Collins said while the crowd may look a little tough, especially after they get on their bikes, they're also mothers, fathers, aunts and uncles. Many them were out in the days after the girls were taken, helping to look for them.