- RAW: First District House Rep. Rod Blum Talks about Rand Paul and Carly Fiorina
- RAW: Potential Presidential Candidate Scott Walker after his meet and greet in Cedar Rapids
- RAW: Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks about fist-bumping Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton and Young Americans for Liberty
- Hundreds Dead in Nepal Quake
- Large Crowds Expected in Baltimore
- Little Free Libraries In Hiawatha
- Cedar Rapids Budget Appeal Rejected
- Rockwell Workers Relieve Stress With Yoga
- Deadly Crashes Dropping Among Teens
- RAW NEWS: Victim's Family Speaks
- Remembering Lynnsey Donald
- Summit Attracts Big GOP Names
- Girl with Leukemia Dismissed from School
- Cedar Rapids Celebrates Arbor Day
- Walker Running on a Record
- Cedar Falls Man's Garage Sale App
- Wellington Heights Smoke Detector Giveaway
- Walker Circling Presidential Run
- Grads Lack Desired Skills
- UI Offers New Degree
- IA Man Goes to Gofundme to Follow Dream
- DOT Reviews Intersection
- Police Shooting Report Expected Soon
- Rubio Returning to Iowa
- Drake Gets Live Mascot
- Accused Teenage Murderer in Court
- Phone Outage Affecting 4 Counties
- Woman Denied $41M Jackpot Error
- Cancer Survivor Raising Awareness
- High School Stage Collapses
- Public Health Major
- "Raymond" Sitcom Actor Dead at 19
- Fighting Breast Cancer Before It Starts
- Special Gifts For Two Corridor Kids
- Fleck Sales Co. Buying Wolfe Beverage Co.
- Express Bus, Rideshare Plans Move Forward
- Black Students Rally at UI
- CBJ Report: April 23rd
- Interim UI President Approved
- Bird Flu Confirmed At Third Iowa Farm
- Emotional Recovery Following Stabbing
- Mental Health and Smart Phones
- What Makes Terrorists Tick?
- Gov. Asks Agencies to Monitor Bird Flu
- UPDATE: Woman Killed at Hy-Vee
- Multiple Crews Called to Explosion, Fire
- Petraeus Sentenced For Classified Leak
- Lottery CEO: Iowa Law Stopped Fraud
- Layoffs Hit Verizon in Cedar Rapids
- The Trick That Helps Old Dogs
ISP Trooper Injured by Drunk Driver
Updated: Tuesday, July 16 2013, 09:26 PM CDT
Photo Courtesy: Iowa State Patrol
IOWA CITY (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- An Iowa State Patrol trooper was injured Tuesday after being struck by a drunk driver, and a second trooper was involved in an accident while responding to the first trooper's accident.
The Iowa State Patrol says Trooper Cody Kammeyer was in the crossover on I-80 near Iowa City doing radar speeding enforcement when he was struck from behind by 23-year-old Johnathon Daniel McFall of West Des Moines. Witnesses say McFall veered into the median in which Kammeyer was sitting. A follow-up investigation found McFall was intoxicated when he struck the trooper's car and he has been charged with OWI, reckless driving and improper use of lanes. Kammeyer was taken to a local hospital in Iowa City where he was treated for minor injuries and later released.
Meanwhile, Trooper Paul Nowak was responding to Kammeyer's accident with lights and siren when his car was struck on West Post Road in Cedar Rapids. No one was injured and no citations were injured.
54 state patrol officers across the nation have been killed in the line of duty so far this year, 20 of them killed in traffic collisions or involved in vehicular assault.
In a written statement, Colonel David W. Garrison, chief of the Iowa State Patrol asked motorists to "Please exercise care when driving, and prepare for your interactions with police and EMS vehicles as well as towing and recovering professionals."