- Your Voice, Your Future Townhall: Connects Against Crime
- Oxford Gas Leak Prompts Evacuations
- UI Sexual Assault Report Increase
- Standlee Pleads Not Guilty
- Fire Happened "In the Blink of an Eye"
- Missing Cobra Found
- Hajj Death Toll Skyrockets
- Gov. Branstad Visits Marion
- JOCO Health Officials Draft Report
- Selena Gomez Battling Lupus
- McCarthy Withdraws from GOP Speaker Race
- North Liberty Company Expanding
- France Train Hero Stabbed in CA
- Iowa Fashion Project Launch Party at FilmScene
- Fugitive With Ties to Iowa on the Run
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Carly Fiorina on Russia, Putin and other Republicans
- Privatizing Medicaid Savings Estimated
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate John Kasich on Syria, Russia and ACA
- No-kill Shelter Raffling off Gun
- Prison Officials Considering Tech Upgrades
- Dems Preparing Legislation to Curb Guns
- Clinton Turns Benghazi Ad To Her Side
- Coast Guard Ends Search For Crew
- Charges Filed After SUV Hits Home
- Fill the Boot Check Presentation
- Mayflower Hall Brings Back IOWA Tradition
- Iowa's Best Tasting Water Is In...
- Increase in Population, Increase in Violence?
- Iowa City Music Tradition Uncertain Future
- Created in the Corridor: Light Awake
- RAYGUN Coming to Cedar Rapids
- Trump in Waterloo
- Tronca Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Quite a Journey for Shellsburg Family Car
- Clinton Opposes Pacific Rim Trade Deal
- Chrome Horse Conversion Gains Support
- Details of Oregon Gunman's Death Revealed
- Clinton Flexes Muscles to GOP
- Clinton Gun Control Plans
- UI Research Has Worldwide Impact
- New UI President Plans Outreach Events
- House Conservatives Oppose McCarthy
- CR Man Charged After Police Chase
- Back Porch Revival Tickets on Sale Now
- Health Insurance Website Gets Overhaul
- Man Accused Hitting Person with SUV inside Home
- Results from Diversity Focus Survey
- Iowa City Plans to Study Minimum Wage
- DBQ Increasing Street Lights, Cameras
- Putin Spends Birthday With NHL Legends
ISP Trooper Injured by Drunk Driver
Updated: Tuesday, July 16 2013, 09:26 PM CDT
Photo Courtesy: Iowa State Patrol
IOWA CITY (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- An Iowa State Patrol trooper was injured Tuesday after being struck by a drunk driver, and a second trooper was involved in an accident while responding to the first trooper's accident.
The Iowa State Patrol says Trooper Cody Kammeyer was in the crossover on I-80 near Iowa City doing radar speeding enforcement when he was struck from behind by 23-year-old Johnathon Daniel McFall of West Des Moines. Witnesses say McFall veered into the median in which Kammeyer was sitting. A follow-up investigation found McFall was intoxicated when he struck the trooper's car and he has been charged with OWI, reckless driving and improper use of lanes. Kammeyer was taken to a local hospital in Iowa City where he was treated for minor injuries and later released.
Meanwhile, Trooper Paul Nowak was responding to Kammeyer's accident with lights and siren when his car was struck on West Post Road in Cedar Rapids. No one was injured and no citations were injured.
54 state patrol officers across the nation have been killed in the line of duty so far this year, 20 of them killed in traffic collisions or involved in vehicular assault.
In a written statement, Colonel David W. Garrison, chief of the Iowa State Patrol asked motorists to "Please exercise care when driving, and prepare for your interactions with police and EMS vehicles as well as towing and recovering professionals."