- BMW Driver Identified In Police Shooting
- Iowan Sees Controversy As Opportunity
- Rubio Announcement Coming April 13
- Clinton Advisers Traveling To Iowa
- Man Drinks 36 beers, slams into house
- UPDATE: Man Shot By Police Identified
- Volunteers Explore Opportunities
- Airport to be Iowa's First Super Park
- Local Reaction to New Cancer Treatment
- Linn County to Offer Free STI Testing
- Winneshiek County Gathers Info on Sand
- House Panel Approves Adoption Leave Bill
- IA Senate Panel OKs Strip Search Bill
- Missing Cedar Rapids Man
- Stocks Surge on Spending Signs
- Branstad Seeks To Boost STEM Education
- 1 Killed in Incident at NSA
- New Empty IA Prison Records
- Efforts to Find Plane Crash Victims Continues
- Waterloo Has Highest Jobless Rate for IA Metros
- Trevor Noah Named 'Daily Show' Host
- Fiorina Almost Ready to Run
- Going Meatless on Mondays
- Mandatory Age To Stop Driving
- Car Goes into Marshalltown House
- 1 Killed in Clayton County Crash
- 2 Killed in PA Plane Crash
- Air Canada Plane Skids Off Runway
- BMW in Officer Involved Shooting
- Hwy. 30 Work to Begin
- Lawmakers Wish to Change Health Benefits
- UI Opens New Pediatric Clinic
- Boston Officer in Coma After Shooting
- Spring Break Turns Violent in FL
- Kittens Found Dumped in Trash Bin
- Pilots Inspire Girl Scouts To Fly
- 15th Annual Arc March in CR
- Farmers Asked to Breed No-Horn Cows
- 2 Iowa Farm Workers Hospitalized
- Knox Conviction Overturned, Again
- Pink Chicken Mystery Solved
- Concern Over Future State History
- Man Sentenced in Waterloo Toddler's Death
- Hawkeye Women Inspire Next Generation
- Special ACA Enrollment for Some
- What's Stealing Your Sleep?
- Woman Sentenced in Fake Birth Case
- Man Sentenced for Heroin Trafficking
- Threatening Letter Sent to Bar
Iowa State Fair Plans Lincoln Butter Sculpture
Updated: Monday, July 15 2013, 07:59 PM CDT
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- A butter sculpture of President Abraham Lincoln will share the dairy-centric spotlight this year with the world-famous butter cow at the Iowa State Fair.
Organizers announced Monday that a sculpture of Lincoln, along with a replica of the Lincoln Highway Bridge in central Iowa, will be on display in a 40-degree cooler when the fair opens in August.
It will take sculptor Sarah Pratt three weeks and 1,000 pounds of regular salted butter to create the pieces. She says she's unsure how she'll depict Lincoln.
The companion sculptures, which change every year, are marking anniversaries. It's been 150 years since Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation and Gettysburg Address. The historic Lincoln Highway, which stretches from New York to San Francisco, is 100 years old.
The fair runs Aug. 8 to Aug. 18.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.