- Fiery Crash Closes I-80 in Iowa City
- Scrabble Word Expansion
- Session-Ending Budget in the Works
- Good News for Cedar Lake
- Wanted Man Injured During Arrest
- Federal Charges in Calmar Robbery
- Grill Hotline Open for Holiday
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Tuna
- Grand Jury Indictments in Gray Case
- First Interview with Attorney General
- Flavor Flav Arrested in Vegas
- County, State Fairs Call Off Bird Events
- Safety Break on Interstate 380
- Johnson Co. Emergency Services Building
- Discussing Rooftop Dining in IC
- Holiday BBQ On A Budget
- CBJ Report: May 21st
- Hope Blooms at Kennedy High School
- Universities Join Together to Collect Debt
- Suspect in Mansion Murder Named
- BSA Leader Calls for Repeal of Ban
- ConAgra Expanding Waterloo Plant
- Huckabee Skipping Straw Poll
- Bin Laden Love Letters?
- Bacon Prices Falling
- House Passes Fireworks Bill
- Appeal in CR Gun Smuggling Case
- After Dave, What's Next for Late Night?
- Crowded Stage Expected for GOP Debates
- Police Officer Killed in Omaha
- Oil Spill Continues to Spread
- Lawmakers Spar over Education Funding
- RAGBRAI Volunteers Needed in Hiawatha
- Healthcare Experts Discourage Co-Sleeping
- Teen Faces Felony Charges for Stabbing
- CFRD Fight Fire at Paper Mill
- Looking Back at a Late Night Legend
- SPECIAL REPORT: Hope for Maggie
- Building Change to Improve Downtown IC
- CRCSD, Mercy Launch Online Health Record
- Rep. Blum Intends to Keep Campaign Promise
- Auto Recall Will Take 'Years' to Fix
- 2 More Farms Positive for Bird Flu
- Chelsea Man Killed in Crash
- Appeals Court Upholds Murder Conviction
- DEA Conducts Record Heroin Bust
- Secret Space Rocket Launches
- DA Joining Oil Spill Investigation
- Trump Talks Straw Poll
- House Proposes New School Funding Increase
ICPD Investigates Alleged Assault Of Minor
Updated: Tuesday, July 16 2013, 08:58 PM CDT
IOWA CITY, Iowa (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Police are investigating a reported assault in downtown Iowa City Monday afternoon.
The alleged victim is a student attending a University of Iowa summer camp.
That alleged assault is starting a discussion in Iowa City of whether downtown is safe.
Even on a summer day when classes are out, downtown Iowa City is still a busy place, enough so that people need to be safe.
The University of Iowa told us about an assault that allegedly took place Monday afternoon.
"Broad daylight," University of Iowa spokesperson Tom Moore said.
A minor, on campus for a summer camp, reported the incident and was taken to the hospital to get checked out.
"We have reached out to the parents of all the campers, informed them of the incident, and gave them a chance to ask any questions or express any concerns they might have," Moore said.
We ran into some students who are attending journalism camp this week.
They were told about the alleged incident but don't feel any less safe.
"I've lived here awhile. There's never been a time where I have felt threatened," Lushia Anson said.
"I'm comfortably safer here than I am in Chicago," Stephon Berry said.
"Stranger danger, right? It's just like, if you see someone suspicious, stay away," Marisa Potts said.
Campus police said to maintain a buddy system downtown and even draw attention to yourself if you feel like someone is following you.
Folks like Megan Dotson said to be intentional about your safety.
"I just don't put myself at risk and be vulnerable. Don't wear headphones all the time. Know where you're going. Know your surroundings," Dotson said.
The Iowa City Police Department is not releasing other details. They said it is still under investigation.