- Matt Campbell Named ISU Head Coach
- One Killed in Homicide on DM's Court Ave
- Uptown Marion Celebrates Shopping Small
- Festival of Trees Kicks Off
- Families Enjoy Breakfast with Santa
- Trump Attacks Rubio, Bush in FL
- Window Wonderland Kicks Off
- Pipeline Brings Protesters to CR
- Shiffrin Crushes Field, Breaks Record
- Deputies Rescue Newborn in Calif.
- Mich. State Will Play Iowa for Title
- Alabama Claims SEC West
- New Information in Colo. Shooting
- Coralville Prepares for Festival of Trees
- Hawkeye Fans Cheer on Undefeated Team
- UPDATE: Officer Killed in CO Shooting
- Gay Marriage on Tribal Lands
- Hawkeyes Clinch Undefeated Season
- Brucemore Kicks off Holiday Tours
- IA Man Seriously Injured after Shooting
- Smoking Causes Early Morning Fire
- Waterloo Woman Robs Cellphone Store
- Target Fire Interrupts Holiday Shopping
- JK Rowling Opens up about Snape
- Accused Teacher Resigns
- Grant Helps Historic IC Home
- White House Fence Jumper Arrested
- Golden Girls Granny Panties a Hit
- Shoppers Start Early on Thanksgiving
- Runners Celebrate Turkey Trot
- UI and "The Big Bang Theory"
- Hot Holiday Tech
- Delivering Thanksgiving
- Man Charged with Early Morning Fire
- Man Arrested in IC Thefts
- Pope Speaks Out For Climate Talks
- Judge: Throw out Medicaid Contract
- Cameron: UK Must Attack IS in Syria
- Drunken Boating Arrests Down in MO
- Britain: No Military Action against Assad
- Therapy Horse Found
- Tight Security at Thanksgiving Day Parade
- LIST: Restaurants Open on Thanksgiving
- Man Sends Doughnuts to Cops
- Sheriff's Sign Stirs Controversy
- 93% of Damaged Baltimore Businesses Reopen
- Driver Arrested after car ends up on roof
- Local Drive Addresses Veteran Homelessness
- Staying Safe this Holiday Season
- Thanksgiving Meal Feeds 400
ICPD Investigates Alleged Assault Of Minor
Updated: Tuesday, July 16 2013, 08:58 PM CDT
IOWA CITY, Iowa (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Police are investigating a reported assault in downtown Iowa City Monday afternoon.
The alleged victim is a student attending a University of Iowa summer camp.
That alleged assault is starting a discussion in Iowa City of whether downtown is safe.
Even on a summer day when classes are out, downtown Iowa City is still a busy place, enough so that people need to be safe.
The University of Iowa told us about an assault that allegedly took place Monday afternoon.
"Broad daylight," University of Iowa spokesperson Tom Moore said.
A minor, on campus for a summer camp, reported the incident and was taken to the hospital to get checked out.
"We have reached out to the parents of all the campers, informed them of the incident, and gave them a chance to ask any questions or express any concerns they might have," Moore said.
We ran into some students who are attending journalism camp this week.
They were told about the alleged incident but don't feel any less safe.
"I've lived here awhile. There's never been a time where I have felt threatened," Lushia Anson said.
"I'm comfortably safer here than I am in Chicago," Stephon Berry said.
"Stranger danger, right? It's just like, if you see someone suspicious, stay away," Marisa Potts said.
Campus police said to maintain a buddy system downtown and even draw attention to yourself if you feel like someone is following you.
Folks like Megan Dotson said to be intentional about your safety.
"I just don't put myself at risk and be vulnerable. Don't wear headphones all the time. Know where you're going. Know your surroundings," Dotson said.
The Iowa City Police Department is not releasing other details. They said it is still under investigation.