- Little Free Libraries In Hiawatha
- Cedar Rapids Budget Appeal Rejected
- Rockwell Workers Relieve Stress With Yoga
- Deadly Crashes Dropping Among Teens
- RAW NEWS: Victim's Family Speaks
- Remembering Lynnsey Donald
- Summit Attracts Big GOP Names
- Girl with Leukemia Dismissed from School
- Cedar Rapids Celebrates Arbor Day
- Walker Running on a Record
- Cedar Falls Man's Garage Sale App
- Wellington Heights Smoke Detector Giveaway
- Walker Circling Presidential Run
- Grads Lack Desired Skills
- UI Offers New Degree
- IA Man Goes to Gofundme to Follow Dream
- DOT Reviews Intersection
- Police Shooting Report Expected Soon
- Rubio Returning to Iowa
- Drake Gets Live Mascot
- Accused Teenage Murderer in Court
- Phone Outage Affecting 4 Counties
- Woman Denied $41M Jackpot Error
- Cancer Survivor Raising Awareness
- High School Stage Collapses
- Public Health Major
- "Raymond" Sitcom Actor Dead at 19
- Fighting Breast Cancer Before It Starts
- Special Gifts For Two Corridor Kids
- Fleck Sales Co. Buying Wolfe Beverage Co.
- Express Bus, Rideshare Plans Move Forward
- Black Students Rally at UI
- CBJ Report: April 23rd
- Interim UI President Approved
- Bird Flu Confirmed At Third Iowa Farm
- Emotional Recovery Following Stabbing
- Mental Health and Smart Phones
- What Makes Terrorists Tick?
- Gov. Asks Agencies to Monitor Bird Flu
- UPDATE: Woman Killed at Hy-Vee
- Multiple Crews Called to Explosion, Fire
- Petraeus Sentenced For Classified Leak
- Lottery CEO: Iowa Law Stopped Fraud
- Layoffs Hit Verizon in Cedar Rapids
- The Trick That Helps Old Dogs
- 3 Arrests After Bank Robbery
- Wanted Coralville Lawyer Arrested
- Kitten Abuse Sentencing Set
- Fmr. Teacher Sexual Abuse Trial Set
- U.S. Operation Kills Terror Hostages
ICPD Investigates Alleged Assault Of Minor
Updated: Tuesday, July 16 2013, 08:58 PM CDT
IOWA CITY, Iowa (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Police are investigating a reported assault in downtown Iowa City Monday afternoon.
The alleged victim is a student attending a University of Iowa summer camp.
That alleged assault is starting a discussion in Iowa City of whether downtown is safe.
Even on a summer day when classes are out, downtown Iowa City is still a busy place, enough so that people need to be safe.
The University of Iowa told us about an assault that allegedly took place Monday afternoon.
"Broad daylight," University of Iowa spokesperson Tom Moore said.
A minor, on campus for a summer camp, reported the incident and was taken to the hospital to get checked out.
"We have reached out to the parents of all the campers, informed them of the incident, and gave them a chance to ask any questions or express any concerns they might have," Moore said.
We ran into some students who are attending journalism camp this week.
They were told about the alleged incident but don't feel any less safe.
"I've lived here awhile. There's never been a time where I have felt threatened," Lushia Anson said.
"I'm comfortably safer here than I am in Chicago," Stephon Berry said.
"Stranger danger, right? It's just like, if you see someone suspicious, stay away," Marisa Potts said.
Campus police said to maintain a buddy system downtown and even draw attention to yourself if you feel like someone is following you.
Folks like Megan Dotson said to be intentional about your safety.
"I just don't put myself at risk and be vulnerable. Don't wear headphones all the time. Know where you're going. Know your surroundings," Dotson said.
The Iowa City Police Department is not releasing other details. They said it is still under investigation.