- Census Data Shows Iowa Growth
- Discussing Gambling Addiction
- Business Fire In Ely
- New Development Project In NewBo
- CR Foreclosure Rate Dropping
- African Families Day at Hoover Elementary
- GOP Hopefuls Coming to Iowa
- One Killed After Semi Hits Bridge
- Ted Cruz to Visit Cedar Rapids
- CR City Budget Appealed
- Medical Marijuana Bill Advances in Senate
- DBQ Man Charged for Kidnapping Attempt
- 2 Your Finances
- Census Shows Growth in DSM, Iowa City
- Mentally Ill Seniors Transferred to Nursing Homes
- Men's Cardio Fitness Tied to Cancer Risk
- Basketball Players to Meet Globetrotter
- Bond Doubled for Stigler
- Prison Contractor Wants More Money
- CLAIM: France Plane Crash Intentional
- Saudi Arabia Intervenes in Yemen
- Germanwings Pilot Was Locked Out Of Cockpit
- Severe Weather Kills 1 In Oklahoma
- Saudi Arabia Launches Airstrikes In Yemen
- Linn Co. Plans Future Trails
- New Video Shows Distracted Drivers
- Support for Medicaid Oversight
- CR Council OKs Stormwater Hike
- Development Planned for Old Vigortone Site
- Court Documents Reveal Johns Steps
- IA Man Competing for Dream Job
- RAGBRAI Riders Travel Past Kinnick
- Heinz: CR Plant Not Affected by Merger
- CR Student Works to Fight Bullying
- Senate School Start Date Bill Stalls
- Longtime Hawkeye PA Announcer Passes
- Crowdfunding Trend Skyrockets
- Emerald Ash Borer Found in Clinton Co.
- UI Names Potential Interim President
- Bergdahl to be Charged with Desertion
- Elected Official Contact Info Bill Advances
- Gov. Branstad has Private Email
- Bill for Statewide Uber Regulations
- 'Star Wars' Locale Part of ISIS Fight
- Deadly Crash Includes Americans
- Statewide Tornado Drill Today
- Turning to Surgery to Prevent Cancer
- High-Speed Chase In Dubuque County
- IC Building Business With New Hotel
- Taking Steps Toward Better Walkability
ICPD Investigates Alleged Assault Of Minor
Updated: Tuesday, July 16 2013, 08:58 PM CDT
IOWA CITY, Iowa (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Police are investigating a reported assault in downtown Iowa City Monday afternoon.
The alleged victim is a student attending a University of Iowa summer camp.
That alleged assault is starting a discussion in Iowa City of whether downtown is safe.
Even on a summer day when classes are out, downtown Iowa City is still a busy place, enough so that people need to be safe.
The University of Iowa told us about an assault that allegedly took place Monday afternoon.
"Broad daylight," University of Iowa spokesperson Tom Moore said.
A minor, on campus for a summer camp, reported the incident and was taken to the hospital to get checked out.
"We have reached out to the parents of all the campers, informed them of the incident, and gave them a chance to ask any questions or express any concerns they might have," Moore said.
We ran into some students who are attending journalism camp this week.
They were told about the alleged incident but don't feel any less safe.
"I've lived here awhile. There's never been a time where I have felt threatened," Lushia Anson said.
"I'm comfortably safer here than I am in Chicago," Stephon Berry said.
"Stranger danger, right? It's just like, if you see someone suspicious, stay away," Marisa Potts said.
Campus police said to maintain a buddy system downtown and even draw attention to yourself if you feel like someone is following you.
Folks like Megan Dotson said to be intentional about your safety.
"I just don't put myself at risk and be vulnerable. Don't wear headphones all the time. Know where you're going. Know your surroundings," Dotson said.
The Iowa City Police Department is not releasing other details. They said it is still under investigation.