- Florida Braces for Erika
- Arrest Made in TX Officer Slaying
- Cedar Rapids Explores First Farmer's Market After Dark
- Iowa Poll: Sanders Closing in on Clinton
- CRPD Investigating Early Morning Shooting
- ICPD Investigating Downtown Robbery
- Cedar Falls Police Open Drug Drop-Off
- HSFB: Rain, Rain, and More Rain
- Soul Food: Hot Commodity at Iowa Soul Fest
- 10 Years Later: Remembering Katrina
- Voices of Diversity: 2015 Iowa Soul Fest
- ICPD Looking for Theft Victims
- Man Dies in Grain Bin Accident
- Preventing Sports Injuries
- No Appeal in Telemedicine Abortion Ruling
- Coral Ridge Mall Shooting Trial Moved
- Review Of Iowa's Criminal Justice Practices
- Remembering Armstrong's 'Family Ties'
- Review Finds Coach Pressured Players
- Group Agrees Memorial Endorses Religion
- Anti Catcalling Campaign at UI
- MidAmerican Building Wind Farms
- 2015 Iowa Soul Festival
- Casey Audit Finds Missing Funds
- Trump "Settles Hair Issue"
- Farmers' Market: After Dark
- CRPD Working on License Plate Reader Policy
- CenturyLink Expanding Rural Broadband
- Power Co-Op to Add Solar Panels to State
- CBJ Report: August 27th
- TX Company To Pay Back Iowa Residents
- Minimum Wage Plan Clears 1st Hurdle
- Karen Fuller Joins CBS2 & FOX28 As Anchor
- Clinton Draws Controversial Parallels
- Medicaid Bidding Criticism
- Hops Farm Begins Supplying Craft Brewers
- Audit Reveals Misspent Money
- CR Chase Supect Not Located
- Hayden Fry Honored with Proclamation
- DSM Officer Not Indicted
- Iowa City Least-Stressed U.S. City
- Study Finds Peak Times for College Drug Use
- UI Names 2nd Finalist for President
- Wal-Mart Ending Assault-Style Weapon Sales
- Fire Forces Evacuation of CR Apartment
- General Mills Recalls Green Beans
- Hoover Trail Extension Meeting
- Cedar Ridge Celebrates 10 Years
- Going to the Dogs
- Trump Happy He Kicked Reporter Out
ICPD Investigates Alleged Assault Of Minor
Updated: Tuesday, July 16 2013, 08:58 PM CDT
IOWA CITY, Iowa (CBS 2/FOX 28) -- Police are investigating a reported assault in downtown Iowa City Monday afternoon.
The alleged victim is a student attending a University of Iowa summer camp.
That alleged assault is starting a discussion in Iowa City of whether downtown is safe.
Even on a summer day when classes are out, downtown Iowa City is still a busy place, enough so that people need to be safe.
The University of Iowa told us about an assault that allegedly took place Monday afternoon.
"Broad daylight," University of Iowa spokesperson Tom Moore said.
A minor, on campus for a summer camp, reported the incident and was taken to the hospital to get checked out.
"We have reached out to the parents of all the campers, informed them of the incident, and gave them a chance to ask any questions or express any concerns they might have," Moore said.
We ran into some students who are attending journalism camp this week.
They were told about the alleged incident but don't feel any less safe.
"I've lived here awhile. There's never been a time where I have felt threatened," Lushia Anson said.
"I'm comfortably safer here than I am in Chicago," Stephon Berry said.
"Stranger danger, right? It's just like, if you see someone suspicious, stay away," Marisa Potts said.
Campus police said to maintain a buddy system downtown and even draw attention to yourself if you feel like someone is following you.
Folks like Megan Dotson said to be intentional about your safety.
"I just don't put myself at risk and be vulnerable. Don't wear headphones all the time. Know where you're going. Know your surroundings," Dotson said.
The Iowa City Police Department is not releasing other details. They said it is still under investigation.