- France Train Hero Stabbed in CA
- Iowa Fashion Project Launch Party at FilmScene
- Fugitive With Ties to Iowa on the Run
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Carly Fiorina on Russia, Putin and other Republicans
- Privatizing Medicaid Savings Estimated
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate John Kasich on Syria, Russia and ACA
- No-kill Shelter Raffling off Gun
- Prison Officials Considering Tech Upgrades
- Dems Preparing Legislation to Curb Guns
- Clinton Turns Benghazi Ad To Her Side
- Coast Guard Ends Search For Crew
- Charges Filed After SUV Hits Home
- Fill the Boot Check Presentation
- Mayflower Hall Brings Back IOWA Tradition
- Iowa's Best Tasting Water Is In...
- Increase in Population, Increase in Violence?
- Iowa City Music Tradition Uncertain Future
- Created in the Corridor: Light Awake
- RAYGUN Coming to Cedar Rapids
- Trump in Waterloo
- Tronca Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Quite a Journey for Shellsburg Family Car
- Clinton Opposes Pacific Rim Trade Deal
- Chrome Horse Conversion Gains Support
- Details of Oregon Gunman's Death Revealed
- Clinton Flexes Muscles to GOP
- Clinton Gun Control Plans
- UI Research Has Worldwide Impact
- New UI President Plans Outreach Events
- House Conservatives Oppose McCarthy
- CR Man Charged After Police Chase
- Back Porch Revival Tickets on Sale Now
- Health Insurance Website Gets Overhaul
- Man Accused Hitting Person with SUV inside Home
- Results from Diversity Focus Survey
- Iowa City Plans to Study Minimum Wage
- DBQ Increasing Street Lights, Cameras
- Putin Spends Birthday With NHL Legends
- Zoo Lawsuit: Lemurs are Stressed
- Woman Hit near Kinnick Dies
- VW Recall to Begin in January
- Cedar Rapids Car Fire
- UPDATE: Trooper's Name Released in OIS
- Draft Joe Biden Group Releases Ad
- Anamosa Prison Guards Accused of Smuggling
- Clinton Send Her Book to GOP Candidates
- Assisted Suicide Opponents Vow to Fight Law
- UPS Hiring Iowans for Holiday Rush
- Jeb Bush Works To Crack Iowa's Top Five
- Stem Cells To Treat Pets
Fugitive Who Used Boys' IDs In Court
Updated: Thursday, July 24 2014, 09:47 PM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (AP) -- A convicted armed robber who eluded authorities for nearly 41 years after escaping prison has appeared in court in Cedar Rapids on Social Security fraud and identity theft charges.
Federal prosecutors say 69-year-old Ronald Dwaine Carnes also faces a firearms possession charge. The charges are contained in an indictment filed Tuesday.
Carnes, who's from Waterloo, appeared in court Thursday. He's in custody without bond. Trial is set for Sept. 22.
Prosecutors say he spent decades underground after escaping from a now-closed prison in Huntersville, North Carolina, in August 1973.
Carnes is alleged to have lived under the identities of two 5-year-old boys who died in the 1940s. He faces a maximum prison term of 34 years if convicted.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.