- Leaders Make Progress on School Funding
- Egg Production Down in IA
- Iowa Farming…for Beer
- UPDATE: One Dead After Fiery Crash
- CR Shots Fired Arrest
- Martin O'Malley Campaigns in Iowa
- Branstad Attending Officer Orozco Funeral
- Scrabble Word Expansion
- Session-Ending Budget in the Works
- Good News for Cedar Lake
- Wanted Man Injured During Arrest
- Federal Charges in Calmar Robbery
- Grill Hotline Open for Holiday
- Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Tuna
- Grand Jury Indictments in Gray Case
- First Interview with Attorney General
- Flavor Flav Arrested in Vegas
- County, State Fairs Call Off Bird Events
- Safety Break on Interstate 380
- Johnson Co. Emergency Services Building
- Discussing Rooftop Dining in IC
- Holiday BBQ On A Budget
- CBJ Report: May 21st
- Hope Blooms at Kennedy High School
- Universities Join Together to Collect Debt
- Suspect in Mansion Murder Named
- BSA Leader Calls for Repeal of Ban
- ConAgra Expanding Waterloo Plant
- Huckabee Skipping Straw Poll
- Bin Laden Love Letters?
- Bacon Prices Falling
- House Passes Fireworks Bill
- Appeal in CR Gun Smuggling Case
- After Dave, What's Next for Late Night?
- Crowded Stage Expected for GOP Debates
- Police Officer Killed in Omaha
- Oil Spill Continues to Spread
- Lawmakers Spar over Education Funding
- RAGBRAI Volunteers Needed in Hiawatha
- Healthcare Experts Discourage Co-Sleeping
- Teen Faces Felony Charges for Stabbing
- CFRD Fight Fire at Paper Mill
- Looking Back at a Late Night Legend
- SPECIAL REPORT: Hope for Maggie
- Building Change to Improve Downtown IC
- CRCSD, Mercy Launch Online Health Record
- Rep. Blum Intends to Keep Campaign Promise
- Auto Recall Will Take 'Years' to Fix
- 2 More Farms Positive for Bird Flu
- Chelsea Man Killed in Crash
Former U.S. Attorney Announces Senate Bid
Updated: Monday, June 3 2013, 02:56 PM CDT
ANKENY, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa Republican Matt Whitaker is officially announcing his plans to run for U.S. Senate in 2014.
Speaking Monday at a news conference in Ankeny, the former U.S. attorney announced he would seek the seat being vacated by retiring five-term Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin. Whitaker says he wants to reduce government spending and "restore our country to greatness."
The 43-year-old former University of Iowa football player from Clive was U.S. attorney for Iowa's Southern District from 2004 to 2009. He ran unsuccessfully for state treasurer in 2002.
Republican David Young, who was U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley's top aide, also says he'll seek the seat. Other Republicans considering running include state Sen. Joni Ernst and former Reliant Energy CEO Mark Jacobs.
Democratic Rep. Bruce Braley of Waterloo is his party's only candidate.
2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.