- Volunteers Explore Opportunities
- Airport to be Iowa's First Super Park
- Local Reaction to New Cancer Treatment
- Linn County to Offer Free STI Testing
- Winneshiek County Gathers Info on Sand
- House Panel Approves Adoption Leave Bill
- UPDATE: Man Shot By Police Identified
- IA Senate Panel OKs Strip Search Bill
- Missing Cedar Rapids Man
- Stocks Surge on Spending Signs
- Branstad Seeks To Boost STEM Education
- 1 Killed in Incident at NSA
- New Empty IA Prison Records
- Efforts to Find Plane Crash Victims Continues
- Waterloo Has Highest Jobless Rate for IA Metros
- Trevor Noah Named 'Daily Show' Host
- Fiorina Almost Ready to Run
- Going Meatless on Mondays
- Mandatory Age To Stop Driving
- Car Goes into Marshalltown House
- 1 Killed in Clayton County Crash
- 2 Killed in PA Plane Crash
- Air Canada Plane Skids Off Runway
- BMW in Officer Involved Shooting
- Hwy. 30 Work to Begin
- Lawmakers Wish to Change Health Benefits
- UI Opens New Pediatric Clinic
- Boston Officer in Coma After Shooting
- Spring Break Turns Violent in FL
- Kittens Found Dumped in Trash Bin
- Pilots Inspire Girl Scouts To Fly
- 15th Annual Arc March in CR
- Farmers Asked to Breed No-Horn Cows
- 2 Iowa Farm Workers Hospitalized
- Knox Conviction Overturned, Again
- Pink Chicken Mystery Solved
- Concern Over Future State History
- Man Sentenced in Waterloo Toddler's Death
- Hawkeye Women Inspire Next Generation
- Special ACA Enrollment for Some
- What's Stealing Your Sleep?
- Woman Sentenced in Fake Birth Case
- Man Sentenced for Heroin Trafficking
- Threatening Letter Sent to Bar
- DQ Demolition Affecting 7th Ave. Traffic
- E. Iowan Charged With Bank Embezzlement
- Linn Co. To Charge Cities For Dispatch
- CRPD Charge Man with Attempted Murder
- Highway 965 Traffic Altered
Former U.S. Attorney Announces Senate Bid
Updated: Monday, June 3 2013, 02:56 PM CDT
ANKENY, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa Republican Matt Whitaker is officially announcing his plans to run for U.S. Senate in 2014.
Speaking Monday at a news conference in Ankeny, the former U.S. attorney announced he would seek the seat being vacated by retiring five-term Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin. Whitaker says he wants to reduce government spending and "restore our country to greatness."
The 43-year-old former University of Iowa football player from Clive was U.S. attorney for Iowa's Southern District from 2004 to 2009. He ran unsuccessfully for state treasurer in 2002.
Republican David Young, who was U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley's top aide, also says he'll seek the seat. Other Republicans considering running include state Sen. Joni Ernst and former Reliant Energy CEO Mark Jacobs.
Democratic Rep. Bruce Braley of Waterloo is his party's only candidate.
2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.