- Thanksgiving Meal Feeds 400
- Food for Pets on Thanksgiving
- Election Winner Refuses Seat
- Special Report: Thanksgiving Cell Phone Manners
- Tail Waggin' Wednesday
- Lawyers Fight Request to Move Hicks Trial
- Personal Income Increases in October
- Man Charged After Joking of Shooting
- Shots Fired in Cedar Rapids
- Charges Filed in UI Hawk Alerts
- Three Recovering after Central City Fire
- JUST IN: Clinton Keeps Lead In Iowa
- Pope Makes First Journey to Africa
- Brussels Gets Back to Normal
- Airstrikes Hit Convoy Near Turkey Border
- Five Protesters Shot in Minneapolis
- Video of Officer Killing Teen Released
- Lawsuit Filed after 2014 Highway Stop
- Man Shot in Head in Central IA
- Deere's Earnings Drop 41%
- Special Report: Modern Manners
- LIST: Restaurants Open on Thanksgiving
- Turing Cuts Daraprim Price
- NFL Player Shot
- Fmr. CR Man Faces Child Porn Charges
- Debate over Gun Rules in North Liberty
- Anamosa Students Get Big Surprise
- Safety Amid 1-Million Christmas Drones
- Stores Seeking Seasonal Staff
- Four Agencies Get Drug Drop-boxes
- Last Minute Holiday Travel Tips
- 14-yo Charged with Voluntary Manslaughter
- Cheap Gas leads to Congested Highways
- E. Coli Linked to Costco Chicken Salad
- ISU Runners Recall Tragedy
- Chicago Officer Charged with Murder
- BeraTek's slow cooker on Rachel Ray
- Unsealed Warrants in Kozak Case
- Traffic Backed Up on I-380 in N. Liberty
- Iowa Gets Probation for Dating Scam
- General Mills Sets Cage-free Egg Deadline
- Obama Promises to Support France
- Best & Worst Holiday Return Policies
- Barca Tops Poll After Beating Real Madrid
- CBS 2 News Red Kettle Competition
- Man Pleads Guilty to Hitting Child
- Judge Discusses Video in Hate Crime Case
- Hy-Vee Recognized for Customer Loyalty
- NBC to Give Free Air Time to Candidates
- Who's Accountable For Refugees?
Flood Evacuations Underway in New Hartford Area
Updated: Tuesday, May 28 2013, 05:08 PM CDT
NEW HARTFORD (CBS 2/FOX 28) - Butler County officials say about 15 people have evacuated their homes in the New Hartford area due to an increasing threat from flood waters.
County emergency management director Mitch Nordmeyer tells CBS 2/FOX 28 the evacuations were requested Monday morning after water from the Beaver Creek threatened to top a county road three miles west of town.
"That road acts as a levee," says Nordmayer "and if the water gets over it the town could have some serious trouble."
Early Monday morning volunteers began sandbagging the road, hoping to stop the flood waters.
"Most of those who have evacuated are special needs people," Nordmayer says, "people who would need a little extra time to get to safety."
The American Red Cross has set up a temporary evacuation shelter in Shell Rock, about 13 miles north of New Hartford.
As of 11:30 a.m. Monday, the evacuations had not been made mandatory Nordmayer says.
Additionally, state Highway 57 on both sides of Parkersburg were closed by flood waters as was Highway 14 just north of Parkersburg.
Check back for the latest details.