- France Train Hero Stabbed in CA
- Iowa Fashion Project Launch Party at FilmScene
- Fugitive With Ties to Iowa on the Run
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Carly Fiorina on Russia, Putin and other Republicans
- Privatizing Medicaid Savings Estimated
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate John Kasich on Syria, Russia and ACA
- No-kill Shelter Raffling off Gun
- Prison Officials Considering Tech Upgrades
- Dems Preparing Legislation to Curb Guns
- Clinton Turns Benghazi Ad To Her Side
- Coast Guard Ends Search For Crew
- Charges Filed After SUV Hits Home
- Fill the Boot Check Presentation
- Mayflower Hall Brings Back IOWA Tradition
- Iowa's Best Tasting Water Is In...
- Increase in Population, Increase in Violence?
- Iowa City Music Tradition Uncertain Future
- Created in the Corridor: Light Awake
- RAYGUN Coming to Cedar Rapids
- Trump in Waterloo
- Tronca Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Quite a Journey for Shellsburg Family Car
- Clinton Opposes Pacific Rim Trade Deal
- Chrome Horse Conversion Gains Support
- Details of Oregon Gunman's Death Revealed
- Clinton Flexes Muscles to GOP
- Clinton Gun Control Plans
- UI Research Has Worldwide Impact
- New UI President Plans Outreach Events
- House Conservatives Oppose McCarthy
- CR Man Charged After Police Chase
- Back Porch Revival Tickets on Sale Now
- Health Insurance Website Gets Overhaul
- Man Accused Hitting Person with SUV inside Home
- Results from Diversity Focus Survey
- Iowa City Plans to Study Minimum Wage
- DBQ Increasing Street Lights, Cameras
- Putin Spends Birthday With NHL Legends
- Zoo Lawsuit: Lemurs are Stressed
- Woman Hit near Kinnick Dies
- VW Recall to Begin in January
- Cedar Rapids Car Fire
- UPDATE: Trooper's Name Released in OIS
- Draft Joe Biden Group Releases Ad
- Anamosa Prison Guards Accused of Smuggling
- Clinton Send Her Book to GOP Candidates
- Assisted Suicide Opponents Vow to Fight Law
- UPS Hiring Iowans for Holiday Rush
- Jeb Bush Works To Crack Iowa's Top Five
- Stem Cells To Treat Pets
David Young Files in Race to Fill Harkin's Seat
Updated: Sunday, June 2 2013, 10:06 AM CDT
VAN METER (CBS 2/FOX 28) - The former Chief of Staff to Sen. Chuck Grassley filed papers Saturday to seek retiring Sen. Tom Harkin's seat.
David Young signed the paperwork Saturday to make a run for the US Senate.
Young finished his Statement of Candidacy Saturday afternoon at Fat Randi's Bar and Grill in Van Meter, where he grew up and graduated from Johnston High School.
Young says his experience as Grassley's Chief of Staff gives him more experience than others running to fill the retiring Democrat's seat.
"A lot of people who run for the Senate say they're going to do this that or the other," Young said in a statement. "It's not as easy as you think, but I can hit the ground running right away."
Grassley says of his former aide "After working for three different senators and working for me for seven years, I can say without a doubt that he would be qualified on day one to start out as a senator who knows exactly how to get things done."