- Chicago PD Releases Vid of Teen Shot
- Last Minute Holiday Travel Tips
- 14-yo Charged with Voluntary Manslaughter
- Cheap Gas leads to Congested Highways
- E. Coli Linked to Costco Chicken Salad
- ISU Runners Recall Tragedy
- Chicago Officer Charged with Murder
- BeraTek's slow cooker on Rachel Ray
- Unsealed Warrants in Kozak Case
- Traffic Backed Up on I-380 in N. Liberty
- Iowa Gets Probation for Dating Scam
- General Mills Sets Cage-free Egg Deadline
- Obama Promises to Support France
- Best & Worst Holiday Return Policies
- Barca Tops Poll After Beating Real Madrid
- CBS 2 News Red Kettle Competition
- Man Pleads Guilty to Hitting Child
- Judge Discusses Video in Hate Crime Case
- Hy-Vee Recognized for Customer Loyalty
- NBC to Give Free Air Time to Candidates
- Who's Accountable For Refugees?
- Two Iowans Win $1 Million
- Trump Retakes Iowa Lead
- Five Shot Near Minneapolis Protests
- Ten Worst Toys of 2015 Holiday Season
- Turkey Shoots Down Russian Jet
- IC District Informs About Liberty High
- HBO Releases Game of Thrones Season 6 Poster
- Family Demands $15M & Apologies Over Clock Arrest
- Park CR Offers Fine Forgiveness
- Special Report: Talking Terror
- Examining Terror Threat Within U.S. Borders
- Gas Prices Decline Ahead of Thanksgiving
- CR Student Is a Scholastic News Reporter
- Worldwide Travel Alert Issued
- 6 Dangerous Apps Kids Hide From Adults
- Branstad Pardons Two Turkeys
- HS Football Championships Streaming Live
- Paul: Legislating Refugees
- Putin in Iran for Talks on Syria
- Dream Center Changing Student's Lives
- Arrest Made in Med Student Shooting
- Walmart Starting Cyber Monday Early
- Fourth Suspect Charged with Terrorism
- Former Kirkwood Presidents Visit
- Increased Reward for Missing IA Man
- U2 Reschedules Paris Concert
- UI Considering Changing ISIS Name
- Former Hawkeye Capitalizing on Enzymes
- Benghazi Committee Accused of Misconduct
Dad Home from Afghanistan, Suprises Son at School
Updated: Wednesday, May 29 2013, 09:18 AM CDT
WATERLOO (CBS 2/ FOX 28)--10-year-old Anthony Segebarth thought he was getting ready for a school assembly Tuesday afternoon.
Instead, he got something he'd been missing for almost a year.
His father James Segebarth surprised him in front of hundreds of students at Bender Elementary school. Segebarth had been deployed to an airbase in Afghanistan since July 2012.
"I missed him since it's been a long time away from him," said the fourth grader.
Right now Anthony lives in Waterloo with his grandparents. His father, who's been back since April and lives in Montana, wanted to wait until the end of the school year to give his son a homecoming he'd never forget.
"I wanted to make it special for Anthony because it's been hard on him," Segebarth said.
Arranged by Anthony's grandfather and his fourth grade teacher, the reunion also took the airman by surprise who was greeted by signs and music, thanking him for his service.
"What a better thing to do than to surprise dad," said fourth grade teacher Alex Hansen.
"We started making banners and all sorts of stuff, the kids didn't know what it was about. They thought we were making banners for the Honor Flight."
And after close to a year of being a part, both dad and son look forward to they're favorite pastime.
"I guess we're going fishing,” Segebarth said.
Anthony will be reunited with his mom and sister in Montana by next week.