- Little Free Libraries In Hiawatha
- Cedar Rapids Budget Appeal Rejected
- Rockwell Workers Relieve Stress With Yoga
- Deadly Crashes Dropping Among Teens
- RAW NEWS: Victim's Family Speaks
- Remembering Lynnsey Donald
- Summit Attracts Big GOP Names
- Girl with Leukemia Dismissed from School
- Cedar Rapids Celebrates Arbor Day
- Walker Running on a Record
- Cedar Falls Man's Garage Sale App
- Wellington Heights Smoke Detector Giveaway
- Walker Circling Presidential Run
- Grads Lack Desired Skills
- UI Offers New Degree
- IA Man Goes to Gofundme to Follow Dream
- DOT Reviews Intersection
- Police Shooting Report Expected Soon
- Rubio Returning to Iowa
- Drake Gets Live Mascot
- Accused Teenage Murderer in Court
- Phone Outage Affecting 4 Counties
- Woman Denied $41M Jackpot Error
- Cancer Survivor Raising Awareness
- High School Stage Collapses
- Public Health Major
- "Raymond" Sitcom Actor Dead at 19
- Fighting Breast Cancer Before It Starts
- Special Gifts For Two Corridor Kids
- Fleck Sales Co. Buying Wolfe Beverage Co.
- Express Bus, Rideshare Plans Move Forward
- Black Students Rally at UI
- CBJ Report: April 23rd
- Interim UI President Approved
- Bird Flu Confirmed At Third Iowa Farm
- Emotional Recovery Following Stabbing
- Mental Health and Smart Phones
- What Makes Terrorists Tick?
- Gov. Asks Agencies to Monitor Bird Flu
- UPDATE: Woman Killed at Hy-Vee
- Multiple Crews Called to Explosion, Fire
- Petraeus Sentenced For Classified Leak
- Lottery CEO: Iowa Law Stopped Fraud
- Layoffs Hit Verizon in Cedar Rapids
- The Trick That Helps Old Dogs
- 3 Arrests After Bank Robbery
- Wanted Coralville Lawyer Arrested
- Kitten Abuse Sentencing Set
- Fmr. Teacher Sexual Abuse Trial Set
- U.S. Operation Kills Terror Hostages
Czech Village Ready For Flooding
Updated: Monday, June 3 2013, 08:32 AM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA (CBS 2/FOX 28) – In the Czech Village, it’s no secret the water is rising just across the street. For local residents and business owners, the threat of flood waters was no reason to ruin a perfectly good Saturday.
“The Czech people are a strong people, said Janet Henderson, a manager at Czech Village Antiques. “Their heritage is very strong, very strong minded and very strong willed.”
The community still takes the proper precautions.
“I’m also with NewBo City Market and when they gave the advice to move out, I took that advice [in the Czech Village] also and moved out,” said Michelle Parker of Cosmic Bobbles and Jewels.
“We’re trying to anticipate the worst. Right now, it doesn’t look like it’ll be too bad but still I hate to breathe easy so we did move out of the basement and we’ve taken precautions to get all of our things out,” said Henderson.
Even with sandbags set up in front of nearly all the businesses in the Czech Village, some venders aren’t just open, they’re setting up tables outside.
“We’re cautiously optimistic,” said Parker. “That’s why we’re setting up today outside on the sidewalk, to kind of say the flood’s not going to take Czech Village down again.”
“I have a positive outlook and I don’t like to think about it so I don’t think about it,” said Henderson.