- Volcano Threats Downgraded
- Starbucks Glitch Fixed
- Sen. Rand Paul Visits IA
- Red Cross Volunteers Install Life-Saving Gift
- Indiana College Student Found Dead
- RAW: First District House Rep. Rod Blum Talks about Rand Paul and Carly Fiorina
- RAW: Potential Presidential Candidate Scott Walker after his meet and greet in Cedar Rapids
- RAW: Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks about fist-bumping Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton and Young Americans for Liberty
- Hundreds Dead in Nepal Quake
- Large Crowds Expected in Baltimore
- Little Free Libraries In Hiawatha
- Cedar Rapids Budget Appeal Rejected
- Rockwell Workers Relieve Stress With Yoga
- Deadly Crashes Dropping Among Teens
- RAW NEWS: Victim's Family Speaks
- Remembering Lynnsey Donald
- Summit Attracts Big GOP Names
- Girl with Leukemia Dismissed from School
- Cedar Rapids Celebrates Arbor Day
- Walker Running on a Record
- Cedar Falls Man's Garage Sale App
- Wellington Heights Smoke Detector Giveaway
- Walker Circling Presidential Run
- Grads Lack Desired Skills
- UI Offers New Degree
- IA Man Goes to Gofundme to Follow Dream
- DOT Reviews Intersection
- Police Shooting Report Expected Soon
- Rubio Returning to Iowa
- Drake Gets Live Mascot
- Accused Teenage Murderer in Court
- Phone Outage Affecting 4 Counties
- Woman Denied $41M Jackpot Error
- Cancer Survivor Raising Awareness
- High School Stage Collapses
- Public Health Major
- "Raymond" Sitcom Actor Dead at 19
- Fighting Breast Cancer Before It Starts
- Special Gifts For Two Corridor Kids
- Fleck Sales Co. Buying Wolfe Beverage Co.
- Express Bus, Rideshare Plans Move Forward
- Black Students Rally at UI
- CBJ Report: April 23rd
- Interim UI President Approved
- Bird Flu Confirmed At Third Iowa Farm
- Emotional Recovery Following Stabbing
- Mental Health and Smart Phones
- What Makes Terrorists Tick?
- Gov. Asks Agencies to Monitor Bird Flu
- UPDATE: Woman Killed at Hy-Vee
Cedar River Crests at 3:30 a.m. In Cedar Rapids
Updated: Monday, June 3 2013, 08:32 AM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS (CBS 2/FOX 28) - The rain swollen Cedar River quietly crested in the dead of the night early Sunday moring six feet above flood stage.
The National Weather Service confirmed the river crested at 18.23 feet at 3:30 a.m. Sunday morning, 6.23 feet above flood stage.
For residents of Cedar Rapids the news of the crest comes as welcome relief after days of anxious anticipation of an earlier prediction of 19.9 feet which was made on Friday.
For five days residents of Cedar Rapids on both sides of the river kept anxious eyes on the rising water as the sandbagged the Czech Village and NewBo districts, both of which were devastated by the 2008 floods.
The National Weather service says barring additional, heavy rain upstream, the river should be back to normal by Wednesday.
Still, the Cedar Rapids fire department has extended the closure of boat ramps until Wednesday, and boats and water craft are still prohibited on the Cedar River.
The Iowa River is predicted to crest Friday in Iowa City.