- Real Men Can Braid
- Car Chase Ends at Waterloo PD
- Harreld will not Seek Tenured Professorship
- Team Completes 5,200 Mile Canoe Journey
- New President speaks to Football Team
- DBQ Murder Victim Church Secretary
- UICCU adds Unique Employee Benefit
- A Third of Workers Identify as Free Agents
- The McProblems are McReal
- New Voting Machines after Ballot Surge
- Johnsonville Sausage Recall
- Jimmy Jack's Named Best BBQ Joint
- Kraft Singles Recall Grows
- Low-Wage Workers Experience Wage Theft
- U.S. Unemployment Dips to 5.1%
- Marriage Licenses Issued in Morehead
- EASTERN IOWA OT: Week 2 Scores
- Biden on Running: "I Just Don't Know"
- Man Dies After Jump from CR Bridge
- Mixed Emotions about New UI President
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Bobby Jindal talks everything from Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis to Birthright Citizenship and religious freedom.
- Online Pilot Schools Get Extension
- CBJ Report: September 3rd
- Holiday Travel Reminders
- Iranian Hostage Reflects
- UI Student Heads to Int'l Judo Competition
- Harreld Next President of UI
- School Bus Crash Injures Moped Rider
- Murder Trial Delayed
- Connolly Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison
- Economic Impact of Iowa Football
- NL Celebrates Penn Meadows Pavilion
- Fmr. Clinton Aide to Plead 5th
- JoCo Minimum Wage Passes 2nd Vote
- Judge Lifts Tom Brady's Suspension
- Sen. Grassley Requests Ellingson Update
- IA Underperforms Nation in Economic Growth
- Rough SAT Results for 2015 Class
- Low Numbers Expected at Kinnick
- Marion Discusses Fitness Trackers
- Public Session for Marion Library Project
- Shark Stranded On Maine Beach
- RNC Seeks to Rule Out Third-Party Runs
- Scott Walker Ad Campaign to Begin in Iowa
- UFO Spotted Actually Navy Technology
- After Dark Farmers' Market Exceeds Expectations
- One Arrested for Marion Robbery
- Splash Pads to Remain Open Longer
- Voices of Diversity: Her Lost Year
- Marion PD Investigating Shots Fired
Cedar Rapids St. Luke's Named Blue Zone Work Site
Updated: Monday, July 15 2013, 10:14 AM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS (CBS 2/FOX 28) --
UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's Hospital has been named a designated Blue Zones Worksite. More than 850 hospital employees took the Blue Zones personal pledge to push the hospital over the finish line and achieve the workplace designation.
St. Luke'S officials say they started pursing the Blue Zones Worksite designation in February. A St. Luke's wellness committee worked with St. Luke's Dining Services to identify healthy menu options in its cafeteria. Dining Services employees created a nutritional awareness booklet for Café meals. And the cafeteria is looking to remove the fryers from the kitchen. Quarterly activities are planned, which encourage exercise and wellness. Employees receive free yearly health screenings and free wellness coaching with a financial incentive for participation.
To celebrate this designation, the hospital is holding an upcoming Power 9 Health Fair for its employees on August 14, which will feature interactive healthy activities.
The Blue Zones Project is based on the principles researched by New York Times Best-Selling Author Dan Buettner. The term Blue Zones represents regions on Earth where people live longer, better lives through principles that include moving naturally, having the right outlook, eating wisely and having a sense of belonging. Overall these communities create an environment, which makes it easier to make healthy choices.
Iowa Governor Terry Branstad has embraced the Blue Zones Project, which is the centerpiece of the Healthiest State Initiative to make Iowa the healthiest state in the nation by 2016.
For more details about the Blue Zones Project, visit http://www.bluezonesproject.com.