- Carriage Glow Celebrated
- Fish-O-Rama Participants Cast a Line
- Dream Factory Chapter Opens
- Heart Walk Celebrated
- Back to School Supplies
- Iowan Raising Money for Nepal
- Penford Workers Reject Contract Offer
- Wildfire Claims Firefighter's Life
- Aircraft Part Arrives in France
- Inmates Moved to New Fort Madison Prison
- Crash Reported at Hawkeye Downs
- Sales Tax Holiday Set for Next Weekend
- Phone Scam Targets ISU Students
- Police Searching for Work Release Escapee
- Judge Dismisses DSM Speed Camera Lawsuit
- Paul: Planned Parenthood & Federal Funding
- Paul: Viral Campaigns
- Boys & Girls Battling Hunger
- Mission of Hope Closed Friday & Saturday
- Shooting Investigation Needs Cooperation
- IC Animal Center Prepares to Move
- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper Dead at 61
- Ground Broken for "The Depot"
- Police: Man Stole $20K From Domino's
- Community to "Take Back the Trails"
- Venomous Spider Found in School
- Ebola Vaccine "Highly Effective"
- Search for Missing Teens Suspended
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Rand Paul talks Planned Parenthood, viral campaign videos, ISIS and running for the White House
- Father Injected Son with Heroin
- More Clinton Emails Released
- Handgun Contract Headache Continues
- Mother Hopes Cold Case gets Solved
- Truck Crashes into McDonald Optical
- Three Injured in Wloo Shooting
- Rosetta Probe Discovers New Compounds
- Confederate Flags Outside MLK Church
- Mom Drove Drunk With Six Kids in SUV
- Video: Moments Before Theater Attack
- IA Police Pursuit Deaths Down
- Beijing to Host 2022 Winter Olympics
- Former Healthcare Worker Sentenced
- Three Hit in Shootings
- A New Tool for A Growing Problem
- "Overalls All Over" is Back
- Jim Gilmore Enters GOP Race
- CBJ Report: July 30th
- Woman on Bike Fatally Hit by Car
- IC Ranks No. 1 for Successful Aging
- "Duck Race" Winners Head to Florida
Cedar Rapids St. Luke's Named Blue Zone Work Site
Updated: Monday, July 15 2013, 10:14 AM CDT
CEDAR RAPIDS (CBS 2/FOX 28) --
UnityPoint Health - St. Luke's Hospital has been named a designated Blue Zones Worksite. More than 850 hospital employees took the Blue Zones personal pledge to push the hospital over the finish line and achieve the workplace designation.
St. Luke'S officials say they started pursing the Blue Zones Worksite designation in February. A St. Luke's wellness committee worked with St. Luke's Dining Services to identify healthy menu options in its cafeteria. Dining Services employees created a nutritional awareness booklet for Café meals. And the cafeteria is looking to remove the fryers from the kitchen. Quarterly activities are planned, which encourage exercise and wellness. Employees receive free yearly health screenings and free wellness coaching with a financial incentive for participation.
To celebrate this designation, the hospital is holding an upcoming Power 9 Health Fair for its employees on August 14, which will feature interactive healthy activities.
The Blue Zones Project is based on the principles researched by New York Times Best-Selling Author Dan Buettner. The term Blue Zones represents regions on Earth where people live longer, better lives through principles that include moving naturally, having the right outlook, eating wisely and having a sense of belonging. Overall these communities create an environment, which makes it easier to make healthy choices.
Iowa Governor Terry Branstad has embraced the Blue Zones Project, which is the centerpiece of the Healthiest State Initiative to make Iowa the healthiest state in the nation by 2016.
For more details about the Blue Zones Project, visit http://www.bluezonesproject.com.