- Operation Releaf Underway in North Liberty
- Senate Blocks Effort to Defund Planned Parenthood
- Sen. and Comedian Team Up on Gun Control
- Police Arrest 101 ‘Johns’
- Man Drowns Whilte Saving Son
- Money Raised for Missing Teen Boaters
- Disaster Declaration Approved
- Coe, Mt. Mercy Part of Iowa Private College Week
- Illinois Now Top Party School
- Holmes Eligible for Death Penalty
- Change of Venue Discussed for Kozak
- Suspect Dead in Oakland Shooting
- Conditions Improve for Firefighters
- Delve Turns Art Into Fabric
- Branstad Touts Iowa STEM Education
- Park Service Shelves Blistering Report
- Lotto Winner Reflects on Win
- Deputies Hurt During Arrest
- ROAD TRIPPIN': Downtown Mt. Pleasant
- Tornado Rips Through Southern IA
- VP Biden Still Considering 2016 Run
- Deadly Davenport Shooting
- Is it Time To Ban Trophy Hunting?
- Shots Fired at CR Home
- B-29 Bomber Puts on Performance
- Rummage in the Ramp Diverts Items
- Cedar Rapids Unveils Protected Bike Lanes
- 2nd American Suspected in Lion Hunt
- Memphis Officer Fatally Shot
- Church Explosions Under Investigation
- Some Say Iowa Politics Becoming Combative
- Carriage Glow Celebrated
- Fish-O-Rama Participants Cast a Line
- Dream Factory Chapter Opens
- Heart Walk Celebrated
- Back to School Supplies
- Iowan Raising Money for Nepal
- Penford Workers Reject Contract Offer
- Wildfire Claims Firefighter's Life
- Aircraft Part Arrives in France
- Inmates Moved to New Fort Madison Prison
- Crash Reported at Hawkeye Downs
- Sales Tax Holiday Set for Next Weekend
- Phone Scam Targets ISU Students
- Police Searching for Work Release Escapee
- Judge Dismisses DSM Speed Camera Lawsuit
- Paul: Planned Parenthood & Federal Funding
- Paul: Viral Campaigns
- Boys & Girls Battling Hunger
- Mission of Hope Closed Friday & Saturday
Amber Alert Changes
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 01:14 PM CDT
WATERLOO (CBS 2/ FOX 28)--On what would have been his daughter Elizabeth's 10th birthday, Drew Collins finds it hard to look at pictures of his little girl.
"That life is over,” Collins said teary-eyed, looking at family photos. “It's different now."
Wearing pink, Elizabeth's favorite color, Drew and heather Collins have spent the last year since her disappearance going over the “what-ifs.”
"This could have helped, when the girls went missing, if they would have put it out right away," said Heather Collins.
"It" being an Amber Alert that didn't go out when their daughter and niece Lyric Cook were kidnapped last July.
"A very high percentage of the children that are taken are murdered within the first few hours," Drew said.
Hours critical during an abduction investigation that law enforcement are now trying to stop from ever slipping away again.
"Time is of the essence in these cases,” said Charis Paulson, Director of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation. “The sooner we can get information out to the public, the sooner we can recover any abducted children."
Iowa's department of public safety has now broadened the criteria for sending out those alerts.
Now police only need a description of the suspect or their vehicle. For the past ten years, they needed both.
A change in policy the Collins say is bittersweet.
"How far do we have to take things in order to change things when it comes to our children," Heather asked.
But they say it’s a step in the right direction.
"Give the chance for a child's life to be saved," she said.