- Standlee Pleads Not Guilty
- Fire Happened "In the Blink of an Eye"
- Missing Cobra Found
- Hajj Death Toll Skyrockets
- Gov. Branstad Visits Marion
- JOCO Health Officials Draft Report
- Selena Gomez Battling Lupus
- McCarthy Withdraws from GOP Speaker Race
- North Liberty Company Expanding
- France Train Hero Stabbed in CA
- Iowa Fashion Project Launch Party at FilmScene
- Fugitive With Ties to Iowa on the Run
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate Carly Fiorina on Russia, Putin and other Republicans
- Privatizing Medicaid Savings Estimated
- RAW: Republican Presidential Candidate John Kasich on Syria, Russia and ACA
- No-kill Shelter Raffling off Gun
- Prison Officials Considering Tech Upgrades
- Dems Preparing Legislation to Curb Guns
- Clinton Turns Benghazi Ad To Her Side
- Coast Guard Ends Search For Crew
- Charges Filed After SUV Hits Home
- Fill the Boot Check Presentation
- Mayflower Hall Brings Back IOWA Tradition
- Iowa's Best Tasting Water Is In...
- Increase in Population, Increase in Violence?
- Iowa City Music Tradition Uncertain Future
- Created in the Corridor: Light Awake
- RAYGUN Coming to Cedar Rapids
- Trump in Waterloo
- Tronca Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Quite a Journey for Shellsburg Family Car
- Clinton Opposes Pacific Rim Trade Deal
- Chrome Horse Conversion Gains Support
- Details of Oregon Gunman's Death Revealed
- Clinton Flexes Muscles to GOP
- Clinton Gun Control Plans
- UI Research Has Worldwide Impact
- New UI President Plans Outreach Events
- House Conservatives Oppose McCarthy
- CR Man Charged After Police Chase
- Back Porch Revival Tickets on Sale Now
- Health Insurance Website Gets Overhaul
- Man Accused Hitting Person with SUV inside Home
- Results from Diversity Focus Survey
- Iowa City Plans to Study Minimum Wage
- DBQ Increasing Street Lights, Cameras
- Putin Spends Birthday With NHL Legends
- Zoo Lawsuit: Lemurs are Stressed
- Woman Hit near Kinnick Dies
- VW Recall to Begin in January
Abduction Survivor Gives Message of Hope to Evansdale Community
Updated: Saturday, July 13 2013, 11:15 PM CDT
EVANSDALE (CBS 2/ FOX 28)--Offering words of comfort, Alicia Kozakiewicz stood before Drew and Heather Collins and the Evansdale community, to share her story of survival.
“He had broadcasted himself abusing me to other people online” Kozakiewicz said to a crowd of hundreds who gathered Saturday to mark the one year disappearance of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook.
In 2002, Alicia was kidnapped, raped and beaten by a man she met online. She was 13.
“I figured he was going to kill me,” she said.
Abducted from her Pennsylvania home, Alicia was taken to Virginia and kept locked and chained in a basement for four days before being rescued.
“The FBI broke in the door, cut the chain from around my neck, and gave me a second chance at life,” she said.
Now, she’s using that second chance to be a pillar of strength to those who have endured similar tragedies.
“It was just important to have her here because she’s a success story,” said Heather Collins, Elizabeth mother. “She has a powerful message out there.”
That message is to never give up.
“We cannot give up on them,” Alicia said. “We can never lose hope on a missing child.”
And to lean on one another even in the darkest hour.
“We’re victims and survivors all the same,” she said.