- Fireworks Light up the CR Sky
- 14 Hurt in Deck Collapse
- Blatter Blames World Leaders for Corruption
- Progress Made in Iran Nuclear Deal
- Fireworks Show Injures 9 in Colorado
- Bush Takes Trump Comments Personally
- DSM Police Investigating Fake Shooting Report
- Kittens Thrown Out Car Window
- Hot Dog Eating Upset
- Earthquake Hits Oregon
- State Park Swimming Advisory
- Coralville Lake Boating Warning
- CRPD Investigates Stabbing, Shooting
- Ski Team Hits the Cedar River
- Cedar Boat Club Fireworks
- Sights and Sounds of Jazz Festival
- Palo Man Arrested for Stalking
- Veto Will Hurt Corridor School Budgets
- GoFundMe Created to Help Tornado Victims
- Coralville 4thFest
- Kayakers Rescued From Black Hawk Creek
- IA Man Guilty of Assaulting Officer
- Spring Into Action for Pets this July 4th
- Fancy Food Show: Foods of the Future
- Clinton Planning Eastern Iowa Visits
- LATEST: Thousands Rally in Greece
- IA School Getting Face Lift
- NBA Player Ames Grand Marshal
- Gov. Walker Announcement Coming
- New Trial For IC Man
- More Drugged Drivers on IA Roads
- Jazz Fest Underway in IC
- Lindsey Graham's Thoughts on Joe Biden
- Tanager Place Names New CEO
- Watch Out for Bed Bugs During Your Travels
- Class Action Traffic Cam Suit Thrown Out
- CBJ Report: July 2nd
- ACA Decision Hits the GOP Campaign Trail
- Gay Marriage Hits Campaign Trail
- Branstad Vetoes Funding Deals
- Senator Plans Trade Relations Trip to Cuba
- Tipton Turns 175
- History on the Move in Cedar Rapids
- First Measles Death Since 2003
- Ballplayer Wins Foul Ball Lawsuit
- Bird Flu: Govt. Monitoring Wild Birds
- 2 Your Finances: Greek Financial Crisis
- Branstad Still Mulling Education Bill
- Mall Shooting Suspect Pleads Not Guilty
- Judge Overturns Sexual Assault Conviction
Abduction Survivor Gives Message of Hope to Evansdale Community
Updated: Saturday, July 13 2013, 11:15 PM CDT
EVANSDALE (CBS 2/ FOX 28)--Offering words of comfort, Alicia Kozakiewicz stood before Drew and Heather Collins and the Evansdale community, to share her story of survival.
“He had broadcasted himself abusing me to other people online” Kozakiewicz said to a crowd of hundreds who gathered Saturday to mark the one year disappearance of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook.
In 2002, Alicia was kidnapped, raped and beaten by a man she met online. She was 13.
“I figured he was going to kill me,” she said.
Abducted from her Pennsylvania home, Alicia was taken to Virginia and kept locked and chained in a basement for four days before being rescued.
“The FBI broke in the door, cut the chain from around my neck, and gave me a second chance at life,” she said.
Now, she’s using that second chance to be a pillar of strength to those who have endured similar tragedies.
“It was just important to have her here because she’s a success story,” said Heather Collins, Elizabeth mother. “She has a powerful message out there.”
That message is to never give up.
“We cannot give up on them,” Alicia said. “We can never lose hope on a missing child.”
And to lean on one another even in the darkest hour.
“We’re victims and survivors all the same,” she said.