In The Kitchen
- Summertime Melons
- Fish Oils
- Father's Day Ideas
- Kick off to Dairy Month
- Watermelon Keg
- Build a Better Burger
- Mother's Day Delights
- Seafood Sensations
- Around the World in the Aisles
- NUTritional Snacks
- April Food's Day
- Easter Brunch
- "Munch Madness"
- It's 5 o'clock...what's for dinner?
- Carrots Cousin
- Reduce Your Sodium
- Tropical Fruits
- Lean Beef to Lower Cholesterol?
- Frozen Fruits and Vegetables
- Step Up Your Game with Super Edible Bowls
- Foods and Drinks to Rev You Up
- Blue Zones: Power 9 Principles
- Live Healthy America in Iowa!
- Ringing in the New Year
- Stuff Your Stockings in Good Taste
- Festive & Flavorful Holiday Appetizers
- Holiday Brunch
- Hectic Holiday Snacking
- Thanksgiving Preparations
- More Fruits and Veggies Please
- Popcorn: A PoppinÃ¢ÂÂ Good Snack
- Pumpkin Fun
- Halloween Fun
- Pizza Night
- Plate Size
- Tailgate with Pork
- Family Dinners
- Steel Cut Oats
- Caesar Salad
Popcorn: A PoppinÃ¢ÂÂ Good Snack
Updated: Wednesday, July 3 2013, 02:03 PM CDT
Popcorn is often a treat
accompanying fun activities such as movies or parties, but it can be a
smart everyday snack. Consumption of popcorn peaks in the fall months so
your Hy-Vee dietitian highlights this all-natural, whole-grain option
for healthy snacking
in today’s In the Kitchen with Hy-Vee segment.
1. Whole-grain goodness: Popcorn is a whole grain and offers the
benefits of fiber in a low-calorie, all-natural snack food that costs
only pennies. Consumers are advised to make half our grains whole and
popcorn is an easy way to do so. Studies show diets
rich in whole-grain promote good health.
2. Pop it right & season it light: Try air-popping or use the paper
bag method in the microwave to pop your corn without adding oil or salt.
Pre-salting the kernels toughens popcorn, so lightly salt popcorn after
popping or skip salt altogether and use salt-free
spices for a unique flavor twist.
3. Make your snack foods “bigger” by mixing in popcorn.
Because popcorn is light in calories, mix it in with other snack foods,
such as trail mixes, Chex-style mixes or any crunchy snack. The light,
crunchy texture of popcorn adds variety and makes snacks healthier by
bulking them up with lower-calorie, whole-grain