In The Kitchen
- That One Cupcake Place
- Summertime Melons
- Fish Oils
- Father's Day Ideas
- Kick off to Dairy Month
- Watermelon Keg
- Build a Better Burger
- Caesar Salad
- Steel Cut Oats
- Family Dinners
- Tailgate with Pork
- Plate Size
- Pizza Night
- Halloween Fun
- Pumpkin Fun
- Popcorn: A PoppinÃ¢Â€Â™ Good Snack
- More Fruits and Veggies Please
- Thanksgiving Preparations
- Hectic Holiday Snacking
- Holiday Brunch
- Festive & Flavorful Holiday Appetizers
- Stuff Your Stockings in Good Taste
- Ringing in the New Year
- Live Healthy America in Iowa!
- Blue Zones: Power 9 Principles
- Foods and Drinks to Rev You Up
- Step Up Your Game with Super Edible Bowls
- Frozen Fruits and Vegetables
- Lean Beef to Lower Cholesterol?
- Tropical Fruits
- Reduce Your Sodium
- Carrots Cousin
- It's 5 o'clock...what's for dinner?
- "Munch Madness"
- Easter Brunch
- April Food's Day
- NUTritional Snacks
- Around the World in the Aisles
- Seafood Sensations
- Mother's Day Delights
Blue Zones: Power 9 Principles
Updated: Friday, May 10 2013, 09:23 AM CDT
Collins Road Hy-Vee Dietitian, Nicole Johnson, taught us about Blue Zones and how Iowa is trying to become one of them. Check out this additional information below:
· Blue Zones are places in the world where people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
· These Blue Zones share nine common healthy habits. These habits have become known as the “Power 9 Principles.”
· Examples of “Power 9 Principles”:
o Move Naturally – incorporate physical activity in your everyday activities
o Plant Slant – majority of plate should be plant based – fruits, vegetables, legumes, plant protein
o Wine at 5 – drinking wine in moderation (2 drinks per day for men and 1 drink per day for women) has many health benefits
· Iowa is choosing Blue Zone demonstration sites. These sites will receive additional resources to become healthier communities.
· Cedar Rapids is competing to become one of these demonstration sites – we need 10,000 more pledges.
· In order to pledge, go to www.bluezonesproject.com.